Rep. Robyn Vining Co-Sponsors Legislation to Reduce Barriers to Unemployment Insurance
MADISON – Today, Legislative Democrats introduced a package of bills to improve Wisconsin’s unemployment insurance system. The COVID-19 pandemic has spurred a massive influx in UI applications, which has overwhelmed the current UI system. These bills seek to reduce barriers to UI that slow down the ability to receive benefits when Wisconsinites need them most. State Representative Robyn Vining (D-Wauwatosa) released the following statement regarding her support for these proposals:
“The COVID-19 pandemic has caused unprecedented levels of unemployment in Wisconsin and across the country. Wisconsin workers and families are suffering from the economic impact of this public health crisis, and we must ensure they have the resources to make ends meet.
“These bills will remove eligibility restrictions, make it easier to apply for UI, and remove barriers to allow the Department of Workforce Development to process unemployment claims faster. We need to remove the unnecessary barriers to unemployment assistance so Wisconsinites can access these resources as quickly as possible.
“Families are facing evictions and food insecurity amidst a global pandemic. The heartbreaking emails I’ve received from terrified mothers require action. The legislature must act swiftly to help our communities — let’s convene immediately to provide relief and support for Wisconsinites.”
Rep. Vining represents the 14th Assembly District, which includes parts of Brookfield, Wauwatosa, and Milwaukee. For more information, visit Rep. Vining’s website here.
- Concert Venues Seeking COVID-19 Relief - Erik Gunn - Aug 6th, 2020
- Evictions Rising, Activists Call For Moratorium - Isiah Holmes - Aug 6th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces $32 Million to Support COVID-19 Testing at UW Campuses - Gov. Tony Evers - Aug 6th, 2020
- Lt. Gov. Barnes Delivers Democratic Radio Address Thanking Wisconsinites for Masking Up - Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes - Aug 6th, 2020
- Statement on Testing Protocol Changes - Advocate Aurora Health - Aug 5th, 2020
- Data Wonk: A Mask Mandate is Not Enough - Bruce Thompson - Aug 5th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Slowing in Milwaukee County, Increasing Statewide - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 5th, 2020
- Wisconsin National Guard mobilized to support August 11 election - Wisconsin National Guard Public Affairs - Aug 5th, 2020
- Foundation Allocates $30 Million To Equitable COVID-19 Business Recovery - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 5th, 2020
- After Prison Population Increase, the ACLU of Wisconsin Calls on Leadership to Reduce Incarcerated Population During Pandemic - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Aug 5th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Robyn Vining