Rep. Peter Barca Statement on Attorney General Appeal of Redistricting Decision
"Attorney General Brad Schimel is fighting for his party, not democracy."
MADISON – Today Assembly Democratic Leader Peter Barca (D-Kenosha) released the following statement on the Attorney General’s office decision to take the redistricting case to the Supreme Court:
“This is an egregious waste of taxpayer dollars. A federal court agreed with the plaintiffs that our state had one of the worst cases of gerrymandering in history, and additionally, it was done behind closed doors. After already spending over $2 million in taxpayer dollars fighting for these unconstitutional maps, the attorney general will continue to pursue this costly and purely partisan fight all the way to the Supreme Court.
“We must put Wisconsin voters and taxpayers first. Democracy means that voters chose their representatives, not the other way around. Attorney General Brad Schimel is fighting for his party, not democracy.”
- Gov. Evers Delivers Democratic Radio Address on The People’s Maps Commission - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Statement from Senator Erpenbach on The People’s Maps Commission - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces People’s Maps Commission Application and Selection Processes - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- 8 More Counties Plan Referendum on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Jun 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: Jensen Tries to Pre-Rig Redistricting - Matt Rothschild - Jun 9th, 2020
- WILL Wants WI Supreme Court to Take Redistricting Cases First - Shawn Johnson - Jun 4th, 2020
- Back in the News: Scott Walker Loses Again - Bruce Murphy - Apr 29th, 2020
- 51 of 72 Counties Now Back Fair Maps - Matt Rothschild - Apr 15th, 2020
- 23 Advisory Votes on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Mar 25th, 2020
- City Hall: Ballots Won’t Have Duplicate Gerrymandering Questions - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 27th, 2020
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Peter Barca
"Along with my Democratic colleagues, I’ll work tirelessly to make this a better deal."