Rep. Hesselbein Calls for Open, Transparent, and Public Process for Drawing New Legislative Lines
"For too long, Wisconsin taxpayers have had their voices silenced because of Republicans hiding behind crooked, unconstitutional legislative district lines."
Madison – Today, the U.S. District Court of Western Wisconsin ruled that the unconstitutional, gerrymandered legislative district lines drawn by Republican leaders in 2011 need to be redrawn by November 1, 2017. The court continued to acknowledge the process taken up by Republican legislators in 2011 represents an “unconstitutional partisan gerrymander.” Assistant Assembly Democratic Leader Dianne Hesselbein (D-Middleton) released the following statement calling for a transparent and public process in the redrawing of the Assembly’s legislative districts:
“Today’s court order is another step forward for restoring true representative democracy in Wisconsin. The court once again acknowledged that Republicans have drawn unconstitutional district lines to gain a partisan advantage in the Wisconsin State Legislature and ordered they be redrawn.
“I am calling on state leaders to work in a bipartisan fashion to redraw the state’s legislative districts in an open, transparent, and public manner. This process should include several public hearings across the state to ensure Wisconsin taxpayers are not subject to additional partisan gerrymandering. For too long, Wisconsin taxpayers have had their voices silenced because of Republicans hiding behind crooked, unconstitutional legislative district lines. The process of redrawing legislative districts must occur in a transparent manner.”
- Republicans Lose Lawyers Before Redistricting Starts - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 29th, 2021
- Judge Prohibits Republicans Using Private Lawyers for Redistricting - Shawn Johnson - Apr 29th, 2021
- Op Ed: How Gerrymandered Are We? - Kevin Baas - Apr 29th, 2021
- Murphy’s Laws: The New Gerrymandering Scheme - Bruce Murphy - Apr 27th, 2021
- Evers Redistricting Panel Seeks ‘Partisan Fairness’ - Shawn Johnson - Apr 17th, 2021
- Law Forward’s “Redistricting 101” Provides Much-needed Overview of Critical but Complicated Process - Law Forward - Apr 15th, 2021
- Op Ed: Wisconsin Needs Fair Maps - Ruth Conniff - Apr 1st, 2021
- Your Right to Know: Redistricting Shouldn’t Be Done In Secret - Matthew DeFour - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Redistricting conversation continues on virtual “On the Issues,” Feb. 11 - Marquette University - Feb 10th, 2021
- Op Ed: Redistricting Should Consider Native Americans - Tehassi Hill - Feb 9th, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here