Rep. Hesselbein Calls for Open, Transparent, and Public Process for Drawing New Legislative Lines
"For too long, Wisconsin taxpayers have had their voices silenced because of Republicans hiding behind crooked, unconstitutional legislative district lines."
Madison – Today, the U.S. District Court of Western Wisconsin ruled that the unconstitutional, gerrymandered legislative district lines drawn by Republican leaders in 2011 need to be redrawn by November 1, 2017. The court continued to acknowledge the process taken up by Republican legislators in 2011 represents an “unconstitutional partisan gerrymander.” Assistant Assembly Democratic Leader Dianne Hesselbein (D-Middleton) released the following statement calling for a transparent and public process in the redrawing of the Assembly’s legislative districts:
“Today’s court order is another step forward for restoring true representative democracy in Wisconsin. The court once again acknowledged that Republicans have drawn unconstitutional district lines to gain a partisan advantage in the Wisconsin State Legislature and ordered they be redrawn.
“I am calling on state leaders to work in a bipartisan fashion to redraw the state’s legislative districts in an open, transparent, and public manner. This process should include several public hearings across the state to ensure Wisconsin taxpayers are not subject to additional partisan gerrymandering. For too long, Wisconsin taxpayers have had their voices silenced because of Republicans hiding behind crooked, unconstitutional legislative district lines. The process of redrawing legislative districts must occur in a transparent manner.”
- 8 More Counties Plan Referendum on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Jun 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: Jensen Tries to Pre-Rig Redistricting - Matt Rothschild - Jun 9th, 2020
- WILL Wants WI Supreme Court to Take Redistricting Cases First - Shawn Johnson - Jun 4th, 2020
- Back in the News: Scott Walker Loses Again - Bruce Murphy - Apr 29th, 2020
- 51 of 72 Counties Now Back Fair Maps - Matt Rothschild - Apr 15th, 2020
- 23 Advisory Votes on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Mar 25th, 2020
- City Hall: Ballots Won’t Have Duplicate Gerrymandering Questions - Jeramey Jannene - Feb 27th, 2020
- Did Gerrymandering Kill Medicaid Expansion? - Erik Gunn - Feb 25th, 2020
- Data Wonk: The Republicans’ Gerrymander Scheme - Bruce Thompson - Feb 5th, 2020
- The State of Politics: Redistricting Fight Is One Year Away - Steven Walters - Feb 3rd, 2020
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here