Rep. Brostoff Statement on Republican Effort to Override Will of Wisconsin Voters
"Wisconsin Republicans should be ashamed of themselves for this immoral attempt to override the will of the people."
MADISON – State Representative Jonathan Brostoff (D-Milwaukee) issued the following statement regarding Wisconsin’s Joint Finance Committee taking up legislation this afternoon aimed at weakening the authority of incoming Democratic officials:
“Wisconsin Republicans should be ashamed of themselves for this immoral attempt to override the will of the people. On November 6, Wisconsin said loud and clear that it is high time for a change. But, less than a month later, Republicans are trying desperately to cling to control of our state. While it is not uncharacteristic of Republicans to put politics before people, this goes even further. We are facing a real and dangerous affront to our democracy,” said Brostoff.
“Republicans rolled out their five-bill package for the lame duck session at the end of the day Friday in an attempt to move in as much silence as possible. The damaging 287-page package includes sweeping changes to the scope of powers of the governor and attorney general, a crackdown on voting rights, among other damaging and costly effort.
“Over the last 8 years of the Walker Administration, Wisconsin Republicans could have enacted any of the bills they are so aggressively pushing for now, but didn’t. Instead, they are doing so in reaction to being voted out. After almost a decade of devastating Republican reign, Democrats will again take a seat at the governor’s table. Tomorrow, the Republicans who vote in favor of this package will prove that they care more about their rabid lust for power than democracy.”
- State Supreme Court Dismisses AG’s Lame-Duck Lawsuit - Ruth Conniff - Mar 25th, 2021
- Kaul Sues Legislature Over Lame Duck Laws - Melanie Conklin - Nov 24th, 2020
- AG Kaul Announces Legal Action to Allow DOJ to Again Enforce Wisconsin Laws Without Unconstitutional Legislative Interference - Josh Kaul - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Vos Thinks Lame-Duck Session Didn’t Go Far Enough - Melanie Conklin - Jul 31st, 2020
- The State of Politics: Court Rulings Against Evers Sow Confusion - Steven Walters - Jul 20th, 2020
- Court Tosses Dems’ Lame-Duck Suit - Laurel White - Jul 16th, 2020
- Op Ed: State High Court Nullifies 2018 Election - James Rowen - Jul 12th, 2020
- WI Supreme Court Upholds GOP Lame-Duck Laws - Laurel White - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement on State Supreme Court’s Ruling on Lame Duck - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Lame Duck Supreme Court Upholds Lame Duck GOP Power Grab - State Sen. Chris Larson - Jul 9th, 2020
Read more about Lame Duck Laws here
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Jonathan Brostoff
“A Bold Biennial Budget That Will… Move Our State Forward”
“Join Me in Thanking Governor Evers for This Important Move”