Petitioners Oppose Foxconn’s Great Lakes Raid
Hundreds of conservationists speak out against water diversion plan
MADISON – Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters delivered a petition with 1,817 signatures to the Department of Natural Resources on Wednesday, calling for the agency to reject a plan to divert seven million gallons of water per day from the Great Lakes to the private company Foxconn.
The plan to raid Great Lakes water solely for manufacturing giant Foxconn represents an unprecedented betrayal of the core intent of the hard-won, bipartisan Great Lakes Compact of 2008.
The diversion plan is being rushed along without the necessary information needed to make an informed decision. Foxconn has remained silent on how it will use the water in the manufacturing process and what contaminants might be in the water returned to the Great Lakes.
The applicant should be Mount Pleasant. However, straddling communities require stronger requirements for water use under the Great Lakes Compact. This attempt to subvert the compact’s intended process is reason enough to reject the plan.
Under the compact, diversions are meant to provide water for uses such as municipal drinking water and groundwater replenishment for family wells. This is the first time a state in the compact has been so brazen as to suggest a diversion almost exclusively for a private company.
The petition encourages the DNR to reject the City of Racine’s diversion application, and asks that it not endanger the integrity of the Great Lakes Compact. Conservationists from across the state signed the petition.
“This diversion plan is a thinly veiled attempt to degrade the Great Lakes Compact, one of the finest conservation achievements in a generation,” said Executive Director Kerry Schumann. “The hundreds of conservation voters who signed the petition understand the importance of the integrity and health of our Great Lakes. The DNR should reject this plan and any other plan that threatens our most vital freshwater resource.”
Wisconsin League of Conservation Voters is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization dedicated to electing conservation leaders, holding decision makers accountable, and encouraging lawmakers to champion conservation policies that effectively protect Wisconsin’s public health and natural resources.
- Op Ed: Foxconn Shows Folly of Cheesehead Revolution - Dan Shafer - May 12th, 2021
- Foxconn Deal Doesn’t Reduce Local Government Risk - Corri Hess - May 3rd, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: The True Costs of New Foxconn Deal - Bruce Murphy - Apr 28th, 2021
- The State of Politics: All Sides Won On New Foxconn Deal - Steven Walters - Apr 26th, 2021
- New Foxconn Deal Cuts Incentives By $2.77 Billion - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 20th, 2021
- Rep Hintz: Statement on Approval of Revised Foxconn Contract - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Apr 20th, 2021
- New Foxconn and WEDC Agreement Provides Flexibility and Clarity for Renewed Tech Investments in Science and Technology Park - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Announces Renegotiated Foxconn Contract to Save Taxpayers $2.77 Billion - Gov. Tony Evers - Apr 20th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Statement on Foxconn Announcement - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Apr 19th, 2021
- Evers Announces New, Smaller Foxconn Deal - Jeramey Jannene - Apr 19th, 2021
Read more about Foxconn Facility here