MKE Cares Ordinance Released: Plan Includes Masks for All and Gains Support
Statement of Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic July 6, 2020
During the last week as we have worked to craft the MKE Cares ordinance – a citywide masking policy – the amount of outreach and civic engagement during the process has been inspiring. I want to thank each and every citizen who has taken the time to make their voice heard in the interest of making our community a safer, healthier place. The time to act is now, we cannot stand by while new cases soar, school reopening discussions are taking place, and people continue to die. We won’t look back and regret this science supported action to protect our loved ones, but we will regret it if we do not act. MKE Cares is built on compliance. We want you to do your part to help keep everyone safe.
The support for MKE Cares has been overwhelming as those calling for a citywide policy include hundreds of business owners who co-signed a letter of support, more than 12,000 people adding their names to a change.org petition, our local healthcare providers voicing their support for mask wearing, and the countless other health professionals acknowledging that masks can help save lives.
With all of this in mind we crafted the draft MKE Cares ordinance (attached) that blends several best practices from policies instituted in places such as New York, Los Angeles and Phoenix.
In my view this is an important moment for city government to do what is needed to protect the health and safety of our citizens, of essential workers, and the entire community. I look forward to the robust discussion that will take place around this ordinance in the coming days.
- WI Daily: Lowest COVID-19 Case Total In a Month - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Testing Quick and Easy At National Guard Sites - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Mask-Mandate Won’t Affect Voting In-Person - Brady Carlson - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Wisconsin National Guard continues statewide COVID-19 testing this week - Wisconsin National Guard Public Affairs - Aug 3rd, 2020
- How Will Schools Use CARES Funding? - Madeline Fox - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Op Ed: GOP-Controlled Senate Refuses to Act - Bill Kaplan - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Extends Meal Distribution Program - Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Public Museum to Reopen to the Public on August 21 - Milwaukee Public Museum - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Public Schools to Kick Off Welcome Week with Freshman Bridge - Milwaukee Public Schools - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Rental Assistance Program Continues to Face Challenges - Princess Safiya Byers - Aug 2nd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Ald. Marina Dimitrijevic
Agenda to include communication about federal intervention in Milwaukee
Statement of Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic July 13, 2020