Milwaukee Public Schools Releases School Reopening Recommendation
District to present reopening plan to Milwaukee Board of School Directors
MILWAUKEE (July 13, 2020) — Milwaukee Public Schools (MPS) released its reopening plan and a phased-in reopening recommendation for the start of the 2020-21 school year that will be presented to the Milwaukee Board of School Directors. Last month, the Milwaukee Board of School Directors scheduled a special board meeting to be held Thursday, July 16, at 5:30 P.M. to further discuss the district’s reopening plan.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, school buildings have been closed since March. Upon receiving feedback from MPS students, families, and staff via surveys and input from stakeholders and workgroups, MPS has outlined three instructional model scenarios and a three-phase return model that begins with virtual learning for all students in the fall. The three-phase recommendation will be voted on during Thursday’s special board meeting.
The public can give live testimony during Thursday’s meeting. Community members that wish to speak must register in advance to receive a participation code to enter the meeting. The deadline to register is 3:00 P.M. on July 16, 2020.
To register to participate by dial-in, call 414-475-8200 and follow the instructions. To register to participate via email, visit the Boardcast page of the MPS website to send an email request:
Written comments may be submitted to the Office of Board Governance by mail, to 5225 W. Vliet Street, Milwaukee, 53221; by email, to email@example.com; or by fax, to 414-475-8071. Written comments received before 3:00 P.M. on July 16, 2020, will be forwarded to the Committee for its consideration.
This meeting will be broadcast on WYMS radio— 88.9 FM, or on Time-Warner/Spectrum Channel 13, and via livestream or the MPS YouTube Stream at:
- WI Daily: 485 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 13th, 2021
- State Approves COVID-19 Vaccine for Kids 12 and Older - Erik Gunn - May 13th, 2021
- Brewers Home Games to be at Full Capacity Beginning June 25 - Milwaukee Brewers - May 13th, 2021
- Milwaukee Removing Most COVID-19 Restrictions on June 15th - Jeramey Jannene - May 13th, 2021
- Wisconsin Now Offering COVID-19 Vaccinations to Children Ages 12-15 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - May 12th, 2021
- WI Daily: 558 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 12th, 2021
- WILL Sues Biden Administration for Race, Sex Discrimination in Allocation of COVID Relief Funds for Restaurants - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - May 12th, 2021
- WI Daily: 517 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 11th, 2021
- Court Watch: Courts Face Shortage of Defense Lawyers - Gretchen Schuldt - May 11th, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic heightens need for mental health professionals - Meta House - May 11th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Superintendent focuses on essential investments
Bob Peterson will serve as Board Chair and Sequanna Taylor will serve as Vice President
All Athletics Activities Will Follow MPS’s Return-to-Play Game Plan