Milwaukee Public Schools Releases School Reopening Recommendation
District to present reopening plan to Milwaukee Board of School Directors
MILWAUKEE (July 13, 2020) — Milwaukee Public Schools (MPS) released its reopening plan and a phased-in reopening recommendation for the start of the 2020-21 school year that will be presented to the Milwaukee Board of School Directors. Last month, the Milwaukee Board of School Directors scheduled a special board meeting to be held Thursday, July 16, at 5:30 P.M. to further discuss the district’s reopening plan.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, school buildings have been closed since March. Upon receiving feedback from MPS students, families, and staff via surveys and input from stakeholders and workgroups, MPS has outlined three instructional model scenarios and a three-phase return model that begins with virtual learning for all students in the fall. The three-phase recommendation will be voted on during Thursday’s special board meeting.
The public can give live testimony during Thursday’s meeting. Community members that wish to speak must register in advance to receive a participation code to enter the meeting. The deadline to register is 3:00 P.M. on July 16, 2020.
To register to participate by dial-in, call 414-475-8200 and follow the instructions. To register to participate via email, visit the Boardcast page of the MPS website to send an email request:
Written comments may be submitted to the Office of Board Governance by mail, to 5225 W. Vliet Street, Milwaukee, 53221; by email, to email@example.com; or by fax, to 414-475-8071. Written comments received before 3:00 P.M. on July 16, 2020, will be forwarded to the Committee for its consideration.
This meeting will be broadcast on WYMS radio— 88.9 FM, or on Time-Warner/Spectrum Channel 13, and via livestream or the MPS YouTube Stream at:
- Why Don Natzke Couldn’t Vote - Enjoyiana Nururdin - Aug 9th, 2020
- WI Daily: New One-Day COVID-19 Case Record - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 8th, 2020
- Mexican Fiesta Organizers Make 45,000 Masks - Matt Martinez - Aug 8th, 2020
- WEDC, Milwaukee Downtown Tout “We’re All In” Safety Campaign - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 7th, 2020
- WI Daily: One in 100 Wisconsin Residents Have Tested Positive For COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 7th, 2020
- Healthcare Workers Support Mask Mandate - Erik Gunn - Aug 7th, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4.1 Order Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Aug 7th, 2020
- Pandemic Imperils Arts and Culture Industry - Bridgit Bowden - Aug 7th, 2020
- UW System Orders 350,000 COVID-19 Tests - Rich Kremer - Aug 7th, 2020
- Baldwin, Colleagues Continue Push for Expanded Work Share Provisions in Next Relief Package - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Aug 7th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Public Schools
Student orientation and Chromebook distribution for upcoming school year to start today
Board votes in favor of phased reopening, beginning 2020-21 school year virtually