Milwaukee Health Department launches campaign to increase awareness around COVID-19 and best practices for staying healthy
MILWAUKEE – On Thursday, March 26th the Milwaukee Health Department (MHD) rolled out a series of public service announcement (PSA) videos with the goal of providing important information and guidance related to Novel Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19). The City of Milwaukee has 304 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with the largest concentrations in Central City and North Side neighborhoods with a high density of African-American residents.
“While we are still gathering and analyzing all of the data, it is clear at this point that the communities being hit the hardest by this virus are those where there is a high density of African-American residents,” said Commissioner of Health Jeanette Kowalik. “African-Americans in Milwaukee also face other socioeconomic challenges that can impact a person’s health. We must remember now and in the future that public health goes beyond just diagnosis and treatment and should be considered more holistically.”
“With this virus now in our community and spreading person-to-person we are only as safe as those members who are most at risk, so we must make it a priority to lift those people up,” she continued. “This campaign was born out of the idea that we want to make sure those most impacted have accurate and trusted information to remain healthy and safe.”
The PSA campaign features local community voices including MHD officials; Reggie Moore – Director, Office of Violence Prevention; Homer Blow – Program Director, WNOV; and others. Topics include the basics of COVID-19, prevention, what to do when sick, treatment, testing and more.
PSA videos can be viewed and accessed by visiting Facebook.com/MKEHealth.
- Why Are Bars Still Open? - Graham Kilmer - Jul 14th, 2020
- City Hall: Don’t Call 911 On City Mask Mandate - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 14th, 2020
- Milwaukee Cares Mask Ordinance to Go into Effect July 16 - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 14th, 2020
- Johnson Opposes More Economic Stimulus Funding - Rob Mentzer - Jul 14th, 2020
- MATC to Stream Virtual Commencement Beginning July 24; Ceremony to Air on Milwaukee PBS Aug. 1-2 - Milwaukee Area Technical College - Jul 14th, 2020
- WI Daily: New High, 964 New COVID-19 Cases - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 14th, 2020
- AG Kaul & Multistate Coalition Urging the U.S. Senate to Increase Childcare Funding in Next Federal Stimulus Package - Josh Kaul - Jul 14th, 2020
- Back in the News: Wisconsin Behind on COVID-19 Testing - Bruce Murphy - Jul 14th, 2020
- Milwaukee Public Schools Releases School Reopening Recommendation - Milwaukee Public Schools - Jul 13th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Early Indicators Are “Very Troubling” - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 13th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here