Marquette’s summer giving program provides thousands of masks, raises $200,000 for students training to be on health care frontlines
MILWAUKEE — Marquette University has distributed thousands of face masks to university donors and students as a result of a unique giving program launched earlier this summer.
In July, the university announced the launch of a new giving program in which Marquette would give a university-branded face mask to those who make donations to benefit students training to be on the frontlines of health care — the university also committed to matching gifts by giving masks to current Marquette students.
Nearly 5,000 donors contributed to the program, raising more than $200,000 to support students persuing careers in health care frontlines.
“It is difficult at times to describe what it is like working in a pandemic: limited resources, reusing personal protective equipment, seeing patients — children, in my case — alone in an intensive care unit,” said Amanda Bochniak, a 2017 College of Nursing alumna. “I wouldn’t be the person or nurse I am today without the Marquette community. Thank you to Marquette for this initiative and for supporting all of us on the frontline. Together we can fight this.”
Stacy Mitz, senior associate vice president for university advancement, added, “At Marquette, we are proud of the next generation of healthcare professionals and our future leaders educated in our Catholic, Jesuit tradition. We continue to be inspired by our Marquette community and the support of our donors through this impactful opportunity.”
Based on the success of this initiative, Marquette is now offering donors the opportunity to make a gift in support of the Bridge to the Future Fund, Marquette Fund, Student Affairs Excellence Fund and others to receive a pack of three reusable cloth masks. The funds raised have a direct impact on the student experience, providing a variety of essential and immediate support to students such as tuition assistance, technology, nutritious food and more. Those wishing to support the funds can make donations online.
- WI Daily: 747 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor the More Than 6,300 Wisconsinites and 500,000 Americans Lost to COVID-19 - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 23rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 423 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Supervisor Goodwin Calls on Legislature and Governor Evers to Enact Wisconsin Stimulus Package - Sup. Shawn Rolland - Feb 22nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 403 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 21st, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Recent Press Releases by Marquette University