Law Forward’s “Redistricting 101” Provides Much-needed Overview of Critical but Complicated Process
New Report Breaks Down Redistricting Process In Plain English; Explains Its Importance
MADISON, WI. APRIL 15 — “I have been talking about redistricting with everyone from members of the legislature and activists to my family and friends. And two things have become clear to me. First, most people understand the importance of the redistricting process. And second, very few people understand how it works and, critically, how it will unfold in Wisconsin this year with divided government, census delays, and increased public interest.”
The result is “Redistricting 101: What We Talk About When We Talk About Maps,” a new background paper by Barnes being released today.
“Redistricting is far too important to play out in the shadows,” noted Barnes. She added, “I wanted to write something that would help everybody understand the process, since everybody is impacted by it.”
The report is available free of charge at lawforward.org/redistricting-101
Written in clear and plan English, this comprehensive report:
- Summarizes the history and purpose of redistricting.
- Discusses the abuse of the system through partisan gerrymandering.
- Explains the process by which Wisconsin makes its redistricting decisions.
- Details the legal and constitutional issues raised by redistricting, including how some schemes undermine fundamental principles such as “one person, one vote.”
- Provides a timeline for the redistricting process.
- Includes a glossary to explain some of the less-familiar terms, as well as a list of resources.
Publication of the report was greeted with enthusiasm:
Carlene Bechen, lead organizer with the Wisconsin Fair Maps Coalition, noted, “Redistricting 101 will be a powerful tool in helping our volunteers understand the redistricting process and where they can make an impact. We are grateful to Mel and Law Forward for this important resource.”
- Republicans Lose Lawyers Before Redistricting Starts - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 29th, 2021
- Judge Prohibits Republicans Using Private Lawyers for Redistricting - Shawn Johnson - Apr 29th, 2021
- Op Ed: How Gerrymandered Are We? - Kevin Baas - Apr 29th, 2021
- Murphy’s Laws: The New Gerrymandering Scheme - Bruce Murphy - Apr 27th, 2021
- Evers Redistricting Panel Seeks ‘Partisan Fairness’ - Shawn Johnson - Apr 17th, 2021
- Law Forward’s “Redistricting 101” Provides Much-needed Overview of Critical but Complicated Process - Law Forward - Apr 15th, 2021
- Op Ed: Wisconsin Needs Fair Maps - Ruth Conniff - Apr 1st, 2021
- Your Right to Know: Redistricting Shouldn’t Be Done In Secret - Matthew DeFour - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Redistricting conversation continues on virtual “On the Issues,” Feb. 11 - Marquette University - Feb 10th, 2021
- Op Ed: Redistricting Should Consider Native Americans - Tehassi Hill - Feb 9th, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here