Lame Duck Supreme Court Upholds Lame Duck GOP Power Grab
Milwaukee, WI – Today, consistent with its recent pattern of stripping power away from our duly-elected Governor, the lame-duck Wisconsin Supreme Court upheld the vast majority of the 2018 “Lame Duck” laws, passed by the heavily-gerrymandered and Republican-controlled legislature, along with ousted Governor Walker in a brazen attempt to nullify the 2018 election. In that election, Wisconsin voters chose Democrats to represent them in all five constitutional offices. This decision strips significant powers away from two of them: Governor Tony Evers and Attorney General Josh Kaul.
For a party that constantly claims to be against “activist judges,” Republicans seem to have no problem using them to bend the law to legitimize their continued assault on the will of the people of Wisconsin. Voters elected Jill Karofsky to serve on the Supreme Court by a resounding margin this April. True to form, lame-duck Justice Daniel Kelly, who the people never elected, sided with Republicans in handing even more power to the legislature, just weeks before his term was set to expire at the end of July.
While not unexpected, today’s decision is a stark reminder of the importance of elections and fighting against this rigged system. It is a further example of the depths to which Trump Republicans are willing to sink in order to consolidate their own power.
- State Supreme Court Dismisses AG’s Lame-Duck Lawsuit - Ruth Conniff - Mar 25th, 2021
- Kaul Sues Legislature Over Lame Duck Laws - Melanie Conklin - Nov 24th, 2020
- AG Kaul Announces Legal Action to Allow DOJ to Again Enforce Wisconsin Laws Without Unconstitutional Legislative Interference - Josh Kaul - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Vos Thinks Lame-Duck Session Didn’t Go Far Enough - Melanie Conklin - Jul 31st, 2020
- The State of Politics: Court Rulings Against Evers Sow Confusion - Steven Walters - Jul 20th, 2020
- Court Tosses Dems’ Lame-Duck Suit - Laurel White - Jul 16th, 2020
- Op Ed: State High Court Nullifies 2018 Election - James Rowen - Jul 12th, 2020
- WI Supreme Court Upholds GOP Lame-Duck Laws - Laurel White - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement on State Supreme Court’s Ruling on Lame Duck - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Lame Duck Supreme Court Upholds Lame Duck GOP Power Grab - State Sen. Chris Larson - Jul 9th, 2020
Read more about Lame Duck Laws here