Kelda Roys Announces Agenda for Working Families
Roys’ plan focuses on improving healthcare, education, wages, and opportunity for working families - beginning on day one of her administration
Green Bay, WI – Today, Kelda Roys announced the agenda she will be campaigning on in the primary – Building Wisconsin’s Future: An Agenda for Working Families, as well as the endorsement of Outagamie County Executive Thomas Nelson.
“I have known Kelda for almost 15 years and there is no better advocate and champion for working families,” said Outagamie County Executive Thomas Nelson, who announced his endorsement of Roys at the press conference. “Working together, we took on some of the biggest, most powerful special interests – and won. I can say in no uncertain terms that you can count on Kelda to get the job done: to return our state to its progressive roots, to ensure affordable health care for all Wisconsinites, to build an economy that works for our families, and to make our public schools, once again, the envy of the nation. I am delighted and honored to endorse Kelda Roys, the next governor of our state.”
Nelson’s endorsement came as Roys unveiled Building Wisconsin’s Future, her agenda for working families. Families across Wisconsin are falling behind as the prices of health care, child care, higher education and prescription medication continue to rise, while wages remain stagnant and schools suffer under massive budget cuts. Kelda Roys’ Building Wisconsin’s Future agenda will empower families by raising wages, lowering costs, and investing in Wisconsinites all across our state.
Building Wisconsin’s Future has three pillars: education, healthcare, and economic security:
- Renew Wisconsin’s Commitment to Public Education
- Ensure universal access to affordable, high-quality early childhood education
- Pass free tuition to two-year universities and technical colleges
- Enable Wisconsinites to refinance their student loan debt
- Restore the deep cuts made to Wisconsin’s public schools and UW system
- Expand Healthcare Access & Affordability
- Reduce the prices of prescription medication
- Make BadgerCare a public option to reduce prices and increase access
- Accept the ACA’s Medicaid Expansion to save money and create jobs
- Expand access to mental and behavioral health services and rural healthcare
- Build an Economy for Workers & Families
- Ensure women can fully and equally participate in the economy by defending the right to choose
- Allow Wisconsinites to buy-in to a stable public pension system
- Pass universal Paid Family & Medical Leave
- Raise wages by increasing the minimum wage to $15/hour over time
- Restore workers’ rights to collectively bargain
- Eliminate WEDC and restore a public commerce agency focused on Wisconsin-owned small and growing businesses and homegrown innovators
“I’m running for governor because I have a track record of delivering for working families, and Wisconsin needs that now more than ever,” said Roys. “We can restore opportunity and fairness to Wisconsin, making our state a place where every child, and every family, can thrive.”
More information on Kelda’s policy agenda can be found at Keldaforgovernor.com
Kelda Roys, 39, is a small business owner, attorney, former state representative, and past head of NARAL Pro-Choice Wisconsin who has been standing up for women and families throughout her career. In the Assembly, she stood out as an influential and effective lawmaker, delivering results for working families and helping lead the opposition to Governor Scott Walker’s divisive agenda. As a parent and step-parent of four girls, Roys will fight for paid family leave, affordable childcare, great schools, and quality healthcare for all. In a year in which Wisconsin voters are ready for change, Kelda Roys stands ready to lead Wisconsin into a more progressive future on day one.
Kelda Roys for Governor
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Kelda Roys
"I’m thrilled to have earned the endorsements of so many local elected officials throughout our great state."