Hesselbein Advocates for Fair Maps Constitutional Amendment
MADISON – Representative Dianne Hesselbein (D-Middleton) circulated new legislation today advocating for a Fair Maps Constitutional Amendment in Wisconsin. LRB-3739 will encompass redistricting legislation introduced previously this session in the form of a constitutional amendment.
“For years, our political system has been plagued by unacceptable gerrymandering. Every ten years, elected leaders in Wisconsin draw district boundaries that essentially ensure they will be reelected. The party in control manipulates the district lines to benefit themselves and cripple their opponents–and evolving technology has made the drawing of partisan districts even more extreme,” Hesselbein said.
Constitutional amendments require adoption by two successive legislatures and ratification by the people of the state before it can become effective. The legislation introduced by Hesselbein would be the first amendment consideration.
Wisconsin citizens are tired of gerrymandering. Surveys reveal 72% of Wisconsinites support non-partisan redistricting, and 50 counties have passed resolutions asking the state legislature to take action.
“Voters should choose their politicians; politicians should not choose their voters. If the people of Wisconsin pass this constitutional amendment, no political party will unfairly rig district maps in their favor ever again.”
- Gerrymandering a Threat to Our Democracy - Tom Palzewicz - Aug 6th, 2020
- Gerrymandering Creates Difficult Road for Dems in Wisconsin - Tom Palzewicz - Aug 4th, 2020
- The People’s Maps Commission application deadline is this Friday - Ald. Khalif Rainey - Jul 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: Why Vos and Fitzgerald Fear Fair Maps - Jay Heck - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Op Ed: People’s Maps Commission Seeks Fair Elections - State Sen. Jeff Smith - Jul 21st, 2020
- Gov. Evers Delivers Democratic Radio Address on The People’s Maps Commission - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Statement from Senator Erpenbach on The People’s Maps Commission - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces People’s Maps Commission Application and Selection Processes - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- 8 More Counties Plan Referendum on Gerrymandering - Matt Rothschild - Jun 29th, 2020
- Op Ed: Jensen Tries to Pre-Rig Redistricting - Matt Rothschild - Jun 9th, 2020
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein
Short Session with Missed Opportunities