Hesselbein Advocates for Fair Maps Constitutional Amendment
MADISON – Representative Dianne Hesselbein (D-Middleton) circulated new legislation today advocating for a Fair Maps Constitutional Amendment in Wisconsin. LRB-3739 will encompass redistricting legislation introduced previously this session in the form of a constitutional amendment.
“For years, our political system has been plagued by unacceptable gerrymandering. Every ten years, elected leaders in Wisconsin draw district boundaries that essentially ensure they will be reelected. The party in control manipulates the district lines to benefit themselves and cripple their opponents–and evolving technology has made the drawing of partisan districts even more extreme,” Hesselbein said.
Constitutional amendments require adoption by two successive legislatures and ratification by the people of the state before it can become effective. The legislation introduced by Hesselbein would be the first amendment consideration.
Wisconsin citizens are tired of gerrymandering. Surveys reveal 72% of Wisconsinites support non-partisan redistricting, and 50 counties have passed resolutions asking the state legislature to take action.
“Voters should choose their politicians; politicians should not choose their voters. If the people of Wisconsin pass this constitutional amendment, no political party will unfairly rig district maps in their favor ever again.”
- Rushed Redistricting Bill Drafted In March - Melanie Conklin - Jun 13th, 2021
- Rep. Robyn Vining Urges Passage of Fair Maps Legislation - State Rep. Robyn Vining - May 19th, 2021
- Capitol Rally For Nonpartisan Redistricting - Shawn Johnson - May 18th, 2021
- Fight For Fair Maps Heats Up - Ruth Conniff - May 16th, 2021
- State Supreme Court Rejects Redistricting Rule Change - Shawn Johnson - May 14th, 2021
- Law Forward on Supreme Court Rejection of Redistricting Rulemaking Petition - Law Forward - May 14th, 2021
- Republicans Lose Lawyers Before Redistricting Starts - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Apr 29th, 2021
- Judge Prohibits Republicans Using Private Lawyers for Redistricting - Shawn Johnson - Apr 29th, 2021
- Op Ed: How Gerrymandered Are We? - Kevin Baas - Apr 29th, 2021
- Murphy’s Laws: The New Gerrymandering Scheme - Bruce Murphy - Apr 27th, 2021
Read more about Gerrymandering of Legislative Districts here