Gallagher Statement on Pelosi’s Payout
“The House just voted on the “American Rescue Plan,” which, by the sound of it, would give the nation the resources it needs to finally defeat this disease. But when only 9% of the $1.9 trillion it spends goes to actually fighting the Coronavirus, it’s clear this bill is a “rescue plan” in name only. No wonder my colleagues waited until the middle of the night to pass it.
“There’s overwhelming bipartisan support for providing targeted relief that ensures hospitals have the resources they need to distribute the vaccine, schools can reopen safely, and small businesses can continue to get through this crisis. Unfortunately, instead of trying to work across the aisle, House Democrats opted to pass a liberal wish list poorly disguised as Coronavirus relief. The American people are tired of this.”
Speaker Pelosi’s payout would:
- Authorize approximately $130 billion to schools without any guarantee that schools provide the option of in-person instruction for America’s students.
- According to CBO, 95% of the money for schools won’t be spent until after 2021 – slowing down getting kids back in school.
- Nearly all of the $68 billion obligated to K-12 schools remains available from previous relief packages to support reopening schools and could be utilized immediately.
- Establish the “Emergency Federal Employee Leave Fund,” which allows certain federal bureaucrats up to 15 weeks of paid leave, up to $1,400 a week, for various reasons including if their child has the option or is required to participate in virtual learning.
- Dedicate less than 9% of the $1.9 trillion plan to combatting COVID-19 through public health spending such as national vaccination program, tracking, and more testing.
- Fail to include Hyde protections to prevent taxpayer dollars from paying for abortions.
- Change PPP affiliation rules for non-profits to allow Planned Parenthood to receive funding.
- Kill 1.4 million jobs by raising the national minimum wage by 107% to $15/hour.
- Include a $350 billion bailout for blue states.
- WI Daily: 373 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 19th, 2021
- WI Daily: 518 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 18th, 2021
- WI Daily: 727 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 17th, 2021
- WI Daily: 709 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - Apr 16th, 2021
- MKE County: Children Contributing to Rising COVID-19 - Graham Kilmer - Apr 16th, 2021
- Wisconsin Unemployment at 3.8% - Erik Gunn - Apr 16th, 2021
- White House Announces $1.7 Billion Investment to Fight COVID-19 Variants that Senator Baldwin Worked to Include in American Rescue Plan - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Apr 16th, 2021
- Federal Pharmacy Partnership for Long-Term Care (LTC) Program Ending - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Apr 16th, 2021
- Council file seeks Health Department information on Johnson & Johnson vaccinations - Ald. Milele Coggs - Apr 16th, 2021
- Vaccination Numbers Going Down - Graham Kilmer - Apr 15th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here