Enough is enough with MHD lead program mistakes
Joint statement from members of the Milwaukee Common Council: Alderwoman Marina Dimitrijevic, Alderman Cavalier Johnson, Alderman José G. Pérez, and Alderwoman JoCasta Zamarripa
Because of continued mistakes investigating, assessing and following through on elevated blood lead levels, children continue to be poisoned in Milwaukee. The result of this Bay View case (as confirmed by the administration) being mishandled has hurt children and could have been prevented.
Unfortunately this is not an isolated incident and we call for a complete audit of every elevated blood lead level case we have at the city to ensure that every Milwaukeean is safe. In addition, we must reevaluate the city’s response to lead exposure and seek to prevent poisoning rather than respond to it. Now is the time to reimagine and rebuild a new system that doesn’t depend on children’s blood as the main testing mechanism.
This (lead exposure) has been our city’s pandemic long before COVID -19 and we need to dedicate the same urgency and resources to eliminating it.
We owe that to our children, our families, and every resident of Milwaukee.
- Health Commissioner Says Lead Crisis is Top Priority - Matt Martinez - Jul 22nd, 2021
- Site Visits Highlight Lead Safety Efforts - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Jul 19th, 2021
- City Hall: $98 Million Plan Targets Lead Poisoning - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 19th, 2021
- City Hall: Update Expected Soon on Criminal Investigation Into Health Department - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 16th, 2021
- City Hall: Anger and Frustration With Milwaukee’s Lead Program - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 15th, 2021
- Public Safety and Health Committee to discuss city’s lead abatement program on Thursday - Ald. Marina Dimitrijevic - Jul 12th, 2021
- City Hall: Milwaukee’s Lead Program Fails Again - Jeramey Jannene - Jun 17th, 2021
- Health Commissioner Johnson Statement on Lead Case - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jun 17th, 2021
- Enough is enough with MHD lead program mistakes - Milwaukee Common Council - Jun 17th, 2021
- Op Ed: Federal Water Infrastructure Spending Needed - Congresswoman Gwen Moore and Megan Severson - Jun 14th, 2021
Read more about Lead Crisis here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Common Council
Joint statement from members of the Common Council – Alderwoman Chantia Lewis, Alderwoman Nikiya Dodd, Alderman Russell W. Stamper, II, Alderman Khalif J. Rainey, Alderwoman Milele A. Coggs, Alderman Scott Spiker, Alderman Michael J. Murphy, Alderman Nik Kovac, Alderman Mark Borkowski and Alderman José G. Pérez