DNR Seeking Public Input On PFAS Contamination In Marinette, Peshtigo And Surrounding Communities
In-Person Listening Session Oct. 26
MADISON, Wis. – The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (DNR) is hosting two listening sessions on Wednesday, Oct. 26 to share updates and seek public input on PFAS contamination in the city of Marinette, the town of Peshtigo and surrounding communities. These listening sessions are the 18th in a series of public input opportunities hosted by the DNR for area residents.
The Oct. 26 listening sessions will be conducted in-person at Northeast Wisconsin Technical College (NWTC) in Marinette. Pre-registration is not required.
The public is strongly encouraged to submit questions in advance through email at DNRJCIPFAS@wisconsin.gov or by telephone at 1-888-626-3244.
PFAS (per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances) are a group of human-made chemicals used for decades in numerous products, including non-stick cookware, fast food wrappers, stain-resistant sprays and certain types of firefighting foam.
These contaminants have made their way into the environment through spills of PFAS-containing chemicals, discharges of PFAS-containing wastewater to treatment plants and certain types of firefighting foams.
Addressing PFAS contamination in the environment is part of Gov. Tony Evers‘ statewide initiative to ensure Wisconsinites have access to clean, safe drinking water. In 2019, the governor signed Executive Order #40 to address the issue of PFAS across the state.
Listening Sessions On PFAS Contamination In Marinette & Peshtigo
Christine Haag – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Program Director
Alyssa Sellwood – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Project Manager
Jodie Peotter – DNR Remediation and Redevelopment Brownfields, Outreach and Policy Section Chief
Kyle Burton – DNR Drinking and Groundwater Field Operations Director
Patrick Gorski – DNR Water Quality Program Research Scientist
Nathan Kloczko – DHS Site Evaluation Program Coordinator
Listening Session 18, Wednesday, Oct. 26, 2022, Noon-2 p.m. and 6-7:30 p.m.
Northeast Wisconsin Technical College
1601 University Drive, Marinette, WI 54143
Room MN101/102 (Enter at Door #21 – door closest to Green Gable Road from Parking Lot A).
Join by phone: 312-626-6799; Meeting ID: 822 9180 9472
Submit questions in advance by email at DNRJCIPFAS@wisconsin.gov or by phone at 1-888-626-3244.
The Zoom meeting link and an agenda for these listening sessions will be posted on the DNR’s Marinette and Peshtigo PFAS webpage.
- Evers Wants $100 Million For PFAS, Will Republicans Back Proposal? - Danielle Kaeding - Jan 26th, 2023
- Gov. Evers Proposes More Than $106 Million Plan to Address PFAS Contamination Statewide - Gov. Tony Evers - Jan 24th, 2023
- Multiple State Agencies Responding To PFAS Contamination In Town Of Stella - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Jan 19th, 2023
- New PFAS Fish Consumption Advisory Issued For Lake Wausau And Stevens Point Flowage - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Jan 18th, 2023
- Fish Consumption Advisory Updated For Parts Of Yahara Chain In Dane County - Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources - Jan 18th, 2023
- Study Finds High Level of ‘Forever Chemicals’ in Great Lakes Fish - Danielle Kaeding - Jan 18th, 2023
- Conservation Groups Cite Damage From Prehn’s Time on Natural Resources Board - Henry Redman - Jan 8th, 2023
- Wisconsin Seeking Federal Help For Town With PFAS Contamination 170 Times Safe Levels - Danielle Kaeding - Dec 23rd, 2022
- Natural Resources Board Moves Forward with Groundwater Standards to Protect Wisconsin Communities from PFAS Contamination - Midwest Environmental Advocates - Dec 14th, 2022
- AG Kaul Calls on U.S. Senate to Pass legislation to Protect the Public from Highly Toxic ‘Forever’ Chemicals - Wisconsin Department of Justice - Nov 11th, 2022
Read more about PFAS Problem here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources
Baiting And Feeding Ban Renewed, Public Meeting Set