Data Shows Republican Voter Roll Purge Targets Democratic Voting Communities
Right-Wing Purge Push Comes as Top Trump Campaign Aide Vows Unprecedented Anti-Voter Effort
MADISON, Wis. — The communities with the largest numbers of voters targeted in a right-wing instigated voter roll purge also delivered big vote margins for Democrats in 2016, according to data from the Wisconsin Elections Commission. A lawsuit seeking to force the pre-election voter roll purge was brought by a right-wing legal advocacy group on behalf of Republican campaign donors and at the urging of a Republican Party of Wisconsin leader. The legal effort also comes amid controversy stirred by the comments of a top campaign aide to Donald Trump revealing they will pour unprecedented resources into voter suppression to try to win in Wisconsin.
“A top Trump campaign aide flat out said suppressing votes has been a Republicans strategy to win,” commented One Wisconsin Now Deputy Director Mike Browne. “This right-wing voter roll purge that targets communities that supported Democrats sure looks like it’s part of the ‘playing offense’ strategy a top Trump campaign aide vowed they would pursue.”
Comparing data from the Elections Commission reveals that Donald Trump lost the ten largest communities in terms of the numbers of voters subject to the purge by over 270,000 votes in 2016:
The voter roll purge could also come in time to impact the election bid of right-wing state Supreme Court candidate Dan Kelly. In fact, the right-wing Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty that brought the suit is arguing the state Supreme Court on which Kelly currently sits should take up their case immediately.
One Wisconsin Now is a statewide communications network specializing in effective earned media and online organizing to advance progressive leadership and values.
- Murphy’s Law: WILL’s Harvard Lawyers Fail at Voter Purge - Bruce Murphy - Apr 12th, 2021
- State Supreme Court Tosses Voter Purge Suit - Shawn Johnson - Apr 9th, 2021
- WILL President Rick Esenberg on Supreme Court Decision in Zignego v. WEC - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Apr 9th, 2021
- WEC Statement Regarding Wisconsin Supreme Court Decision - Wisconsin Elections Commission - Apr 9th, 2021
- High Court Urged to Okay 5% Error Rate in Voter Purge - Henry Redman - Sep 30th, 2020
- Court to Rule on Purging 130,000 from Voter Rolls - Laurel White - Sep 29th, 2020
- League of Women Voters of Wisconsin Files Brief to Protect Registered Voters from Polling List Purge - League of Women Voters of Wisconsin - Jul 14th, 2020
- State High Court Narrows Chance of Voter Purge - Laurel White - Jul 1st, 2020
- Voter Purge Push Threatens 129,000 Names - Michael Parsky, Kynala Phillips and Dana Munro - Jun 14th, 2020
- Op Ed: Dan Kelly Wants Revenge - Matt Rothschild - Jun 2nd, 2020
Read more about 2020 Voter Purge here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by One Wisconsin Now
State Supreme Court Candidate Co-Authored Column Opposing Efforts to Clean Up Court Campaigns
Over $14,000 from Board Members of Right-Wing Legal Group to State Court Justice’s Campaign
Dan Kelly Supporters Want Court Action to Allow Enforcement of Abortion Ban Dating to 19th Century