Dane County Health Department Relaxes Sports Restrictions After WILL Lawsuit
Legal challenge to authority of Dane County Health Department continues
The News: Public Health Madison and Dane County, the local health department, issued a new health order on Monday that relaxes a number of sports-related restrictions WILL had challenged in a lawsuit filed in January. Order #13 allows for indoor team sports for up to 25, and outdoors for up to 100. Masks are required while playing indoors, and outdoors if maintaining 6 feet of separation is not possible.
The Quote: WILL Deputy Counsel, Luke Berg, said, “The Dane County Health Department’s restrictions on sports were unreasonable and unnecessary. WILL’s lawsuit challenged these provisions, and we are pleased to see them relaxed. The lawsuit continues, however, because the Health Department continues to issue and enforce orders without any County Board oversight, contrary to state law and the Wisconsin Constitution.”
Public Health Madison and Dane County issued Order #13 on February 8, less than three weeks after WILL filed the suit. Order #13 relaxes many of the sports-related restrictions that WILL challenged. The new order allows for indoor team sports for up to 25, and outdoors for up to 100. Masks are required while playing indoors, and outdoors if maintaining 6 feet of separation is not possible.
WILL’s lawsuit in Dane County Circuit Court will continue, however, to ensure a court addresses the merits of WILL’s challenge to the legal authority of Dane County’s health department. Orders from Dane County’s health department constitute an unlawful delegation of authority from local elected bodies. In particular, WILL argues the various restrictions ought to have been voted on by the Dane County Board.
- WILL Files Lawsuit Challenging Dane County Health Department’s Authority to Enact COVID Restrictions, January 20, 2021
- WILL Represents Dane County Dance Studio in Fight Against Health Department Fines, Orders, February 4, 2021
- Evers Proposes COVID-19 Child Care Aid - Laurel White - Mar 4th, 2021
- WI Daily: 677 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 4th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 No Longer Declining in Milwaukee - Graham Kilmer - Mar 4th, 2021
- COVID-19 Vaccine Assistance Hotline Now Available - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Mar 4th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, DCF Announce Plan to Support Early Care and Education Providers, Partners, and Wisconsin Families - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 4th, 2021
- WI Daily: 539 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 3rd, 2021
- City Aims To Vaccinate Every Educator In Two Weeks - Graham Kilmer - Mar 3rd, 2021
- NEW: Senator Johnson Plans to Delay COVID Relief Through Senate Stunt - Opportunity Wisconsin - Mar 3rd, 2021
- Evers Says Schools May Need Summer Classes - Shawn Johnson - Mar 3rd, 2021
- City Hires Private Firm To Track COVID-19 Violations - Graham Kilmer - Mar 3rd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty
WILL Warns City of Madison New Bird-Safe Glass Ordinance Undermines Wisconsin’s Uniform Building CodeMar 3rd, 2021 by Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty
Notice of Claim warns Madison that city ordinance violates state law