Dana Wachs Calls for an Overhaul of Assault Weapon Laws and Other Measures to Fight Domestic Terrorism
"We can and must do something. And it cannot wait."
EAU CLAIRE – Dana Wachs called for an overhaul of Wisconsin’s laws regarding assault rifles today following the domestic terrorist attack against children at a Florida high school.
“Like most Americans, I’ve spent the last few days going back and forth between grief and anger and terror. What we saw in Broward County, Florida Wednesday was an act of domestic terrorism against our children and our teachers. And now that more details of the shooting are coming out — that the terrorist used a legally purchased assault rifle to gun down children and teachers in their classrooms — we are forced to listen to the gutless responses of career politicians who can’t offer up anything more than their thoughts and prayers.
“Parents in other developed nations around the world do not have to fear that their children will be gunned down learning to read or studying multiplication tables. They don’t have to fear that by sending their child to school, a place that is supposed to be safe, that they might later have to bury their child. What will it take for Republicans and the gun lobby to wake up?
“I’m sure that career politicians will attack me for this. I’m sure they’ll say that I’m being reactionary and, frankly, I don’t give a damn. They told us to wait after the Sikh Temple Massacre in Oak Creek and the Spa Shooting in Brookfield. Where are they with solutions for those crimes now? I’ve seen nothing useful out of the Republican Party, out of Scott Walker, or Donald Trump on domestic terrorism stealing the lives and hope from our communities.
“As a lifelong hunter and as a firearm owner, I know that we can enact common-sense gun laws without infringing on the second amendment. Most gun owners I know want this reform too. It is simply a group of powerful special interest lobbyists that are fighting tooth and nail to protect their bottom line even if it means our children pay the ultimate price.”
Wachs’ plan includes:
- a ban on the sale of assault weapons, including on AR-15s,
- mandatory background checks and a 48-hour waiting period for all firearm purchases,
- closing the gun show loopholes on firearm purchases,
- a ban on bump stocks and high-capacity magazines,
- a “No Fly, No Buy” law to prohibit people listed on federal terrorism watchlists from purchasing any firearms, and
- requiring firearm dealers and sellers to securely store all firearms prior to the point of sale.
Wachs for Wisconsin
More about the Gun Violence
- Most School Shooters Get Their Guns at Home - State Rep. Terese Berceau - May 22nd, 2018
- Governor Walker Orders Flags to Half-Staff Following Tragedy in Santa Fe, Texas - Gov. Scott Walker - May 18th, 2018
- Bryce Releases Statement on Santa Fe High School Shooting - Randy Bryce - May 18th, 2018
- Why Student Activists Did 50 Mile March - Will Kenneally - Apr 20th, 2018
- Roys Marks 19th Anniversary of Columbine Shooting - Kelda Roys - Apr 20th, 2018
- Marchers Seek Gun Control - Margaret Cannon - Apr 5th, 2018
- Giffords Endorses Rebecca Dallet for Wisconsin Supreme Court Against Gun Lobby Backed Candidate - Rebecca Dallet - Mar 30th, 2018
- Mayor Tom Barrett Applauds Passage of Bill Prohibiting Straw Purchasing - Mayor Tom Barrett - Mar 28th, 2018
- Governor Walker Signs $100 Million School Safety Plan into Law - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 26th, 2018
- Republicans Again Did Nothing to Address Gun Violence - State Sen. Chris Larson - Mar 20th, 2018
- School safety package is rushed, needs significant fixes - State Rep. David Bowen - Mar 20th, 2018
- Tom Palzewicz Releases Comprehensive Gun Safety Reform Plan - Tom Palzewicz - Mar 20th, 2018
- Dana Wachs Responds to Gov. Walker’s Short-Sighted School Safety Plan - State Rep. Dana Wachs - Mar 15th, 2018
- Gov. Walker fails to act on gun safety - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Mar 15th, 2018
- No Child Should Ever Feel Unsafe in School: Governor Walker Calls $100 million Special Session on School Safety - Gov. Scott Walker - Mar 15th, 2018
- I stand with our children - Ald. Chantia Lewis - Mar 14th, 2018
- National Walkout Day: I Sit in Solidarity with Students - State Rep. Jimmy Anderson - Mar 14th, 2018
- Youth Council measure urges support of National School Walkout Day and March for Our Lives - City of Milwaukee Youth Council - Mar 13th, 2018
- Mayor Tom Barrett, City Leaders Call For Gun Safety from Children - Mayor Tom Barrett - Mar 12th, 2018
- The State of Politics: School Safety Bill Renews Gun Debate - Steven Walters - Mar 12th, 2018
- The Intersection of Guns and Race - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Mar 8th, 2018
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin Cosponsors Critical School Safety Legislation - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Mar 6th, 2018
- Representative Subeck Statement on Governor’s Comments on School Safety - State Rep. Lisa Subeck - Mar 1st, 2018
- Roys calls on Walker to pass common sense gun reform during proposed special session on gun violence - Kelda Roys - Mar 1st, 2018
- Op Ed: Thoughtful Discussion Needed on Guns - Kyle Hagge - Mar 1st, 2018
- Guns, Grief and Grace - Elizabeth Baker - Feb 28th, 2018
- The time for action on gun violence is now - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Feb 28th, 2018
- The Contrarian: The Real “Gun Nuts” - George Mitchell - Feb 26th, 2018
- Did Michael Screnock Promise the NRA He Supports More Guns in Schools? - One Wisconsin Now - Feb 23rd, 2018
- Universal Background Checks Fail on Party Line in WI State Assembly - State Rep. Jonathan Brostoff - Feb 21st, 2018
- Bryce Calls on Speaker Ryan to Meet with Students from his District - Randy Bryce - Feb 21st, 2018
- Republicans block school shooting precautions - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Feb 20th, 2018
- Passage of Senate Bill 408 - State Sen. Chris Larson - Feb 20th, 2018
- Republican Bill Would Put Guns in Wisconsin Schools - One Wisconsin Now - Feb 19th, 2018
- Speaker Ryan Chooses Campaign Donors Over South Florida Teacher - Randy Bryce - Feb 17th, 2018
- Dana Wachs Calls for an Overhaul of Assault Weapon Laws and Other Measures to Fight Domestic Terrorism - State Rep. Dana Wachs - Feb 16th, 2018
- GOP Chair of State Assembly Committee on Education, School Principal Shares Article Romanticizing Guns in Schools in Aftermath of Florida Mass School Shooting - One Wisconsin Now - Feb 16th, 2018
- Data Wonk: The More Guns, Less Crime Scam - Bruce Thompson - Oct 18th, 2017
- Op Ed: 5 Ways to Reduce Gun Deaths - Patrick Dunphy - Oct 16th, 2017
Recent Press Releases by State Rep. Dana Wachs
"Now is the time for unity."
"It’s about time that every worker be able to earn a fair, living wage at a safe job with decent working conditions."
"Their challenge was ridiculous and that’s why the Elections Commission rejected it."