City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update
MILWAUKEE – The gating metrics continue the same slight decline that began last week. The burden rate decreased to 224.5 cases per 100,000 people and remains in the “extreme transmission” category. This is a slight decrease from 232.5 per 100,000 people last week. The percentage of positive tests is 9.7%, a decrease from 10.4% last week, and remains in the “substantial transmission” category.
Following CDC and Wisconsin DHS guidance, the Milwaukee Health Department began administering an additional third dose of the mRNA vaccine for immunocompromised individuals this past Tuesday, August 17. Additional vaccine doses for those who qualify will be available at the Northwest Health Center (7630 W. Mill Rd.) and Southside Health Center (1639 S. 23rd St.) without an appointment.
Bringing first doses of the COVID-19 vaccine remains the top priority for the department. Currently, 52.0% of City of Milwaukee adult residents have completed their vaccination series, and 57.2% have received at least their first dose. To date, the door-to-door vaccination team and community mobilizers have vaccinated 507 residents in their homes.
COVID-19 vaccines will be available at upcoming events such as the Mt. Pilgrim Baptist Church’s Back to School Fair (2700 W. Brown St.) and BLOC and LIT’s Back 2 School Bash (2308 W. Nash St.) on Saturday, August 21. The team will also bring vaccination to all three days of Mexican Fiesta at Henry Maier Festival Park (200 N. Harbor Dr.), August 27 through 29. A full schedule of upcoming vaccination events can be found at Milwaukee.gov/COVIDvax.
The average daily testing volumes have more than doubled in the past month. This past week, MHD administered an average of 2,115 tests per day. Anyone who experiences COVID-19 symptoms or has come into close contact with anyone who has received a positive COVID-19 test should get tested. Testing is free and available without an appointment at American Family Field and the Northwest and Southside Health Centers. Due to the Brewers’ game schedule, the drive-through testing site at American Family Field will be closed on Saturday, August 21. For more information about COVID-19 testing, visit Milwaukee.gov/COVIDtesting.
- UW System Vaccination Rates Vary Widely - Rich Kremer - Sep 18th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Cases Still High in Milwaukee County - Graham Kilmer - Sep 17th, 2021
- Milwaukee Health Department excusing inaction with insufficient data, right-wing talking points - Milwaukee Teachers’ Education Association - Sep 16th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Delivers Radio Address on New Investments to Support Local COVID-19 Pandemic Response and Recovery - Gov. Tony Evers - Sep 16th, 2021
- UWM reaches 70% vaccination rate goal, pushes for more - University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee - Sep 16th, 2021
- Data Wonk: Biden Vaccine Plan Helps GOP Governors - Bruce Thompson - Sep 15th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, DHS Remind Wisconsinites to Get Vaccinated to Get $100 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Sep 15th, 2021
- American Family Field COVID-19 Testing Site Closing - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 14th, 2021
- For Ron Johnson, Prolonging the Pandemic is Just Another Day at the Office - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Sep 14th, 2021
- Nursing Home Workers Resist Vaccines - Madeline Fuerstenberg - Sep 13th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here