Career Politician Gov. Scott Walker Governs For Re-Election With Campaign Gimmick
"I know Gov. Walker's desperate to be re-elected so he can continue to pursue his presidential ambitions, but he is messing with people’s lives and that’s got to stop."
MILWAUKEE – On the heels of former Corrections Secretary Ed Wall exposing Gov. Scott Walker‘s failure to address the dangerous conditions at the Lincoln Hills juvenile corrections facility, Gov. Walker today announced a plan to close the facility — in 2019 — that’s right, next year. Talk about kicking the can down the road! The following is the statement of gubernatorial candidate Andy Gronik with regards to today’s news:
“Gov. Scott Walker was warned about ‘inhumane’ conditions at Lincoln Hills six years ago. But now, almost as some kind of political stagecraft, he’s talking about taking action next year — after the election — with a non-specific plan for which he has not pledged his support. So, Walker’s actual idea is to park juvenal offenders and correctional officers in dangerous conditions for yet another year while he looks for clever ways to open more prisons around the state instead of addressing the failed criminal justice system that’s landing more and more people in Wisconsin prisons each year. This isn’t a plan — it’s political gamesmanship and cowardice.
“Walker has allowed the mounting problems at Lincoln Hills to fester despite documented harm to both guards and juveniles at the facility. The Walker’s administration reportedly is still not in compliance with a court order to enact much-needed safety reforms at the facility. The governor won’t step foot in Lincoln Hills to learn more about the problems from correctional officers, juvenal detainees, social workers, doctors and others confronted with the issues every day. That’s where you find the real solutions.
“I know Gov. Walker’s desperate to be re-elected so he can continue to pursue his presidential ambitions, but he is messing with people’s lives and that’s got to stop. When I’m governor, we’ll reform the entire criminal justice system so we stop locking up people up for non-violent crimes; we’ll find ways to return juvenal offenders into productive lives within their communities, and we’ll put an end to our prison industry being the only industry growing in the state of Wisconsin.”
More about the Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake
- Rep. Bowen statement on passage of Wisconsin Model of youth justice - State Rep. David Bowen - Feb 21st, 2018
- Kleefisch-Bowen bill lays foundation for youth corrections overhaul - State Rep. David Bowen - Feb 13th, 2018
- Taylor and Bipartisan Legislators Introduce Juvenile Corrections Bill - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Feb 13th, 2018
- Walker Renews Call to Gut Services - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Jan 18th, 2018
- Supervisor Sequanna Taylor Offers to Help Governor Walker with Plan to Close Lincoln Hill and Copper Lake - Sup. Sequanna Taylor - Jan 18th, 2018
- Statement on Delayed Action at Lincoln Hills - State Sen. Jennifer Shilling - Jan 16th, 2018
- Governor Walker Calls on Legislature to Pass Bipartisan Reform for Wisconsin’s Juvenile Corrections System in 2018 - Gov. Scott Walker - Jan 16th, 2018
- Response to Walker’s revisions last night on Lincoln Hills - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jan 16th, 2018
- Another Walker Non-Answer on Lincoln Hills Raises a Significant Question - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jan 12th, 2018
- When Will Lincoln Hills Close? - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jan 9th, 2018
- Shuttering of Lincoln Hills a first step in bringing true rehabilitation for youth offenders - Common Council President Ashanti Hamilton - Jan 5th, 2018
- Career Politician Gov. Scott Walker Governs For Re-Election With Campaign Gimmick - Andy Gronik - Jan 4th, 2018
- Changes Needed at Lincoln Hills Now, Not After the Next Election - State Sen. Chris Larson - Jan 4th, 2018
- Walker agrees to do his job after years of willful neglect and political cover up at Lincoln Hills — now when it threatens his own re-election - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Jan 4th, 2018
- Walker a Day Late and Dollar Short on Juvenile Corrections - State Sen. Lena Taylor - Jan 4th, 2018
- Governor Walker Announces Plan to Provide a Long-Term Solution for Wisconsin’s Juvenile Corrections and Treatment Systems - Gov. Scott Walker - Jan 4th, 2018
- Dana Wachs calls on Walker administration to close Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake - State Rep. Dana Wachs - Nov 16th, 2017
- Op Ed: Lincoln Hills Even Worse Than Reported - Jake Edwards - Nov 16th, 2017
- Close Lincoln Hills: Advocates and Officials Reiterate Call for Closing Abusive Youth Prisons - Youth Justice Milwaukee - Nov 16th, 2017
- 2018 Budget Includes $90,000 for Youth Training Program - Sup. Sequanna Taylor - Nov 6th, 2017
- Rep. Bowen statement on DOC Internal Affairs Unit - State Rep. David Bowen - Oct 10th, 2017
- Sen. LaTonya Johnson’s Juvenile Justice Reform Signed Into Law - State Sen. LaTonya Johnson - Aug 2nd, 2017
- Court Watch: Judge Rules on Lincoln Hills - Gretchen Schuldt - Jul 13th, 2017
- Federal Court finds current conditions of confinement for youth at Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake Schools unconstitutional - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Jun 23rd, 2017
- Court Watch: Pictures of Youths in Prison - Gretchen Schuldt - Jun 20th, 2017
- Abele Blasts State on Juvenile Prisons - Gretchen Schuldt - Apr 27th, 2017
- Court Watch: ACLU Seeks Lincoln Hills Injunction - Gretchen Schuldt - Apr 20th, 2017
- More Horrors at Juvenile Prisons? - Gretchen Schuldt - Apr 19th, 2017
- Court Watch: Chemical Spraying Used At Lincoln Hills - Gretchen Schuldt - Jan 27th, 2017
- Court Watch: Shocking Charges in Lincoln Hills Suit - Gretchen Schuldt - Jan 25th, 2017
- Corrections Officials Face Community on Lincoln Hills - Jabril Faraj - Jun 22nd, 2016
- Precious Lives: A Debate Over Lincoln Hills Problems - Dee J. Hall - May 24th, 2016
- Op-Ed: End Solitary Confinement, Especially of Youth - Laurence J. Dupuis - Feb 18th, 2016
- Murphy’s Law: Why Walker Allowed Lincoln Hills Abuses - Bruce Murphy - Feb 16th, 2016
Recent Press Releases by Andy Gronik
"Governor Scott Walker is in a panic about facing someone like me in November."
"Today, Americans all over the country honor Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. for bringing us together at a time of extreme hate and division."
The Florida conference will feature speakers like white nationalist Steve Bannon and former Donald Trump-aide Sebastian Gorka who has ties to Nazi-allied groups.