Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Surpasses 75,000 Meals Served to Milwaukee Youth
Clubs reach milestone in effort to provide nutritious meals to Milwaukee youth during COVID-19 crisis.
MILWAUKEE, Wis. – (April 27, 2020) – Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee (BGCGM) remains committed to serving the needs of youth in Milwaukee’s most under-resourced communities during the COVID-19 health crisis. Today, Monday, April 27, the Clubs will surpass a milestone in our meal distribution program. After serving a projected 15,750 meals today, BGCGM will surpass 75,000 free meals served to kids and teens 18 years old and younger since our Clubs closed on March 23, 2020.
“Evidence is clear that this health crisis is having a strikingly disproportionate impact on vulnerable communities including the ones we serve,” said BGCGM President and CEO, Kathy Thornton-Bias. “Our Club kids need us more than ever.”
In addition to providing Milwaukee youth with nutritious meals, BGCGM has also distributed more than 5,000 pieces of educational materials including books, puzzles, games, and grade-specific enrichment packets to-date. The Clubs launch approximately 50 new hours of online educational content each week to our learning portal, Clubs@Home, and our staff has personally contacted Club families more than 5,000 times since the crisis began in an effort to better understand families’ needs and adjust our support accordingly. These efforts are a reflection of BGCGM’s commitment to do whatever it takes to ensure kids in under-resourced Milwaukee communities thrive academically, socially, and personally especially during times of crisis.
Students with access to a computer, tablet, or mobile phone can access the Clubs@Home learning portal at bgcmilwaukee.org. Families can also collect enrichment materials during meal distribution every Monday from 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. or while supplies last at the following Clubs:
- Daniels-Mardak Club (4834 N. 35th St, Milwaukee, WI 53209)
- LaVarnway Club (2739 N. 15th St, Milwaukee, WI 53206)
- Davis Club (1975 S. 24th St, Milwaukee, WI 53204)
About Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee
Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee (BGCGM), one of the largest and longest youth-serving agencies in Milwaukee, offers structured after-school and summer programming to nearly 5,000 children and teens each day. Within the safety of 45 locations, youth have access to free meals, academic support, role models, and opportunities to build character and explore new interests. More than 80 percent of the organization’s annual budget goes toward youth programming. For more information, please visit www.bgcmilwaukee.org.
- WI Daily: 539 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 3rd, 2021
- City Aims To Vaccinate Every Educator In Two Weeks - Graham Kilmer - Mar 3rd, 2021
- NEW: Senator Johnson Plans to Delay COVID Relief Through Senate Stunt - Opportunity Wisconsin - Mar 3rd, 2021
- Evers Says Schools May Need Summer Classes - Shawn Johnson - Mar 3rd, 2021
- City Hires Private Firm To Track COVID-19 Violations - Graham Kilmer - Mar 3rd, 2021
- Racine Prison Quarantines Entire Housing Unit - Isiah Holmes - Mar 3rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 324 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Mar 2nd, 2021
- 34 Vaccine Doses Spoil at Wisconsin Center - Jeramey Jannene - Mar 2nd, 2021
- 8.7% of State Now Fully Vaccinated - Graham Kilmer - Mar 2nd, 2021
- Statement from the Milwaukee Health Department - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Mar 2nd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee
Generosity in action demonstrated as hundreds of kids receive gifts during the 2020 Toy Drive
2020 Holiday Toy Drive kicks off with goal of providing kids with a joyous and bright holiday season
The Clubs offering in-person support for virtual learning students during school year