Attemptive Coup by Trump Supporters Failed
Yesterday, Trump supporters attempted to take over the U.S. Capitol building in hope of stopping the Electoral Vote Count from happening. Four people died. Many others were injured in the fighting and sent to the hospital. Multiple explosive devices were also recovered from inside the Capitol grounds.
There were enough Trump supporters to stop the proceedings of the Electoral Vote, at least temporarily. This attempt to halt democracy is unacceptable. Their use of violence is intolerable.
Co-chair Brandy Johnson said, “What happened today at the US Capitol is what happens when rampant fascism in all forms is overlooked and ignored in our capitalistic society. Ignored and unnamed for so long by the people in power that they didn’t even notice the fascists readying to kick it in the front door! This system continues its attempt to feed the working class the boot of the fascists and the fists of the capitalist. We’re here to say not today, not tomorrow, not ever!”
President Elect Biden condemned the actions of the protestors and asked for Trump to demand an end to the siege. We believe Biden is the winner of this election because he received the popular vote in November’s election. It would be against the will of the people for the Electoral College to declare Trump the winner.
Milwaukee Democratic Socialists of America will not yield to fascism. We will speak out, stand up and fight back against it wherever it surfaces. Trump needs to concede to Biden and tell his supporters to stand down.
- Two Priests Blame Antifa for Capitol Riot - Henry Redman - Jan 20th, 2021
- Black History and the Trump Uprising - Isiah Holmes - Jan 18th, 2021
- Authorities Monitoring State Capitol - WPR Staff - Jan 17th, 2021
- Statement Relating to 2018 Contribution to Republican Attorneys General Association (RAGA) - Wisconsin REALTORS® Association - Jan 17th, 2021
- Op Ed: Scott Fitzgerald Has Very Bad Week - James Rowen - Jan 17th, 2021
- Uihleins Gave $4 Million to Group Pushing Capitol Rally - Melanie Conklin - Jan 16th, 2021
- Campaign Cash: State Businesses Supported Group Pushing Capitol Rally - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Jan 14th, 2021
- GOP State Legislators Asked Pence to Not Certify Election - Melanie Conklin - Jan 14th, 2021
- Wisconsin Delegation Votes Party Line on Impeachment - Rob Mentzer - Jan 14th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Condemns Republican Legislators’ Lies and Dangerous Rhetoric - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Jan 14th, 2021
Read more about Chaos at the Capitol here
Recent Press Releases by Milwaukee Democratic Socialists of America
We feel confident that we can rely on Derek to represent and promote working-class, grassroots socialism on the MPS Board.
Among the candidates running in the Democratic Primary, Rick stands out for his commitment to building working-class power.