A Community Event for Community Impact
The 18th Annual Hank Aaron State Trail 5K Run/Walk
Over the past 18 years, the Hank Aaron State Trail 5K Run/Walk has been the signature fund-raising event for the Trail which runs through the heart of Milwaukee and connects neighborhoods from the Lakefront at Discovery World through The Menomonee Valley, West Milwaukee, West Allis and Wauwatosa. The proceeds raised from this event are used for enhancements along the Trail and youth Bike Adventure Camps for those ages 10-13 living in the communities along the Trail. The camps teach bike safety and encourage active lifestyles and discovery along the Trail. This year we are celebrating over 1000 kids have benefitted from these camps! The Friends of Hank Aaron State Trail are again hard at work preparing for the 18th Annual event on Saturday, August 5th to continue this tradition!
Festivities for the 18th Annual Hank Aaron State Trail 5K Run/Walk will begin at 7:00am with race-day registration, Colectivo Coffee and bakery refreshments, as well as several local groups on site with information about community events and opportunities. The entertainment really cranks up at 8:00 a.m. when host Ted Perry will take the stage joined by Mayor Barrett who will send off the runners and walkers with motivational words. The race begins at 8:30 a.m. sharp. Post-race burgers hot off the grill, root beer floats, snacks, prize drawings and awards, and entertainment by De La Buena will conclude the event.
About the race:
- 5k / 3.1 miles (USATF Certified) course and professionally chip timed
- Start location is at Miller Park near the Klement’s Sausage Haus.
- Free parking is available at the Miller lot east of the stadium as well as the Kuehn and Gantner lots.
- Pre and Post-race refreshments and snacks
- Prizes for top three finishers in fourteen age divisions, top male and female, team prizes, plus every 44th finisher wins a prize in honor of Hank Aaron.
- All participants are eligible for door prizes
- Silent auction with a fantastic lineup including 2 round-trip airline tickets, signed memorability from both Hank Aaron and The Packers, an Iron Horse hotel stay, Bucks and Brewers tickets and more!
For more information or to register visit www.hankaaronstatetrail.org or at “Friends of Hank Aaron State Trail” on Facebook.
Recent improvements to the Trail include completion of Three Bridges Park with a one-mile trail extension (2013), addition of a bike ramp from the 6th Street bridge down to the Reed Start yards bike trail extension (2014) and addition of the North Bank Trail (2016).
The Friends of Hank Aaron State Trail is a nonprofit organization dedicated to sustaining, promoting, and enhancing the Hank Aaron State Trail. The 10-mile paved trail runs through the heart of the city and is within a 15 minute bike ride for over 400,000 Milwaukeeans. The 5K run/walk event is the primary fundraiser for the Friends of Hank Aaron State Trail. Proceeds are used for trail maintenance, improvements, and to fund youth bike camps in partnership with the Bike Federation of Wisconsin.