Daily Service Returns to Amtrak’s Milwaukee-Chicago Line
Hiawatha Service was slashed one year ago amidst pandemic.
It’s going to be easier to go between Milwaukee and Chicago soon.
Amtrak is restoring its full schedule of seven weekday roundtrips on the Hiawatha Service starting May 23rd, but advance reservations will continue to be required.
The service will now be restored to its pre-pandemic schedule. Seven roundtrips will operate between Milwaukee, Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport, Sturtevant, Glenview and Chicago on Monday through Friday.
Six roundtrips are offered on Saturday and Sunday. A late-night, one-way train from Chicago to Milwaukee will again be offered on Friday night and a corresponding one-way trip from Milwaukee to Chicago on Saturday.
The Amtrak Thruway Bus service is also being restored to two daily roundtrips between Milwaukee, Fond du Lac, Oshkosh, Appleton, De Pere and Green Bay.
The Empire Builder, which runs between Chicago and the Pacific Northwest via Milwaukee and St. Paul will also return to daily service starting May 24th. It had been cut to three days a week as a result of a pandemic-induced decline in ridership and resulting budget issues.
A full schedule is available on the Amtrak website.
The Hiawatha Service set a new ridership record in 2019 with 876,356 trips, more than double 2003’s total when the system began providing seven daily roundtrips. It’s the busiest non-coastal route in the Amtrak system.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation, in partnership with Minnesota and Illinois, continues to pursue a second daily Empire Builder train between the Twin Cities, Milwaukee and Chicago as well as increasing the number of Hiawatha roundtrips to 10 daily.
CORRECTION: An earlier version of this article said Amtrak was only recently offering roundtrips on Monday through Friday. The railroad website offers conflicting language, but under the current schedule it is offering three round trips every day.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- COVID-19 Testing Results Must Be Made Public - Erika Siemsen - May 7th, 2021
- WI Daily: 662 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 7th, 2021
- In New Interview, Ron Johnson Parrots Tucker Carlson’s Vaccine Lies - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - May 7th, 2021
- WI Daily: 667 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 6th, 2021
- UW System campuses preparing for return of precollege and youth programs this summer - University of Wisconsin System - May 6th, 2021
- WI Daily: 639 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 5th, 2021
- Data Wonk: Ron Johnson Threatens Republicans - Bruce Thompson - May 5th, 2021
- WI Daily: 721 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 4th, 2021
- DHS Connecting Vaccinators with Groups Wanting On-Site Vaccination Clinics - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - May 4th, 2021
- WI Daily: 349 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 3rd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here