False Electors Were GOP Campaign Donors
Republican insiders accused of election fraud gave $14,000 to state candidates.
Eight of 10 GOP stalwarts accused of fraudulently certifying former President Donald Trump as the winner of Wisconsin’s 10 electoral votes have contributed nearly $14,000 since 2015 to legislative and statewide candidates.
A complaint over the incident was filed with the Wisconsin Elections Commission by Paul Sickel, a director of the Service Employees International Union’s Wisconsin State Council. The union also asked Milwaukee County District Attorney John Chisholm to investigate the matter.
Here are the 10 individuals named in the complaint and their campaign contributions to legislative and statewide candidates between Jan. 1, 2015 and Oct. 19, 2020:
Andrew Hitt, of Madison, chairman of the state Republican Party and a lawyer with Michael, Best and Friedrich, $6,250. The top recipient of his contributions was former GOP Gov. Scott Walker, $3,250. He also gave $1,000 each to Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Brian Hagedorn and past Supreme Court candidate Michael Screnock.
Robert Spindell, of Milwaukee, a GOP appointee to the Wisconsin Elections Commission and an executive with Gottesman Co. in Milwaukee, $3,300. His top recipient was former GOP Rep. Jim Ott, of Mequon, $600. Spindell also made contributions ranging from $50 to $250 each to several Republican legislative candidates and Wisconsin Supreme Court Justice Rebecca Bradley.
Kathy Kiernan, chairwoman of the 5th Congressional District GOP, $0.
Mary Buestrin, of Mequon, a Republican National Committee member, $0.
- Campaign Cash: False Electors Were GOP Campaign Donors - Wisconsin Democracy Campaign - Feb 18th, 2021
- Spindell Can Vote on Whether to Investigate Himself - Henry Redman - Feb 17th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: 10 Republicans Accused of Voter Fraud - Bruce Murphy - Feb 16th, 2021
- Fraudulent Electors Convene to Cast State’s Electoral Votes Contrary to Popular Vote and State Statutes, Law Forward Seeks Accountability - Law Forward - Feb 16th, 2021
- Statement of Republican Electors Meeting - Republican Party of Wisconsin - Dec 14th, 2020
Read more about False Electors here