GOP Lawmakers Order Audit of State’s Election System
Republicans say they are responding to constituent concerns regarding the 2020 election.
Republican state lawmakers have ordered an audit of the way elections are administered in Wisconsin, a move Democrats warn could feed conspiracy theories and cast doubt on future elections.
GOP lawmakers who run the Legislature’s audit committee voted to conduct the review Thursday. Wisconsin’s nonpartisan Legislative Audit Bureau will conduct the study.
Republicans who ordered the audit said they were responding to a deluge of contacts from constituents, who had questions about how the 2020 election was conducted.
“I know that this audit will help people understand our elections better and hopefully put to rest concerns,” said Sen. Robert Cowles, R-Green Bay, the committee’s co-chair.
Democrats said they had faith that the Legislative Audit Bureau would conduct a thorough audit, but they worried about the timing.
“And I fear that this will lead to more doubts about future elections,” said Sen. Melissa Agard, D-Madison.
President Joe Biden won Wisconsin by 20,682 votes following a recount in Dane and Milwaukee counties. The recount resulted in few changes to the results reported on election night.
Former President Donald Trump and Republican allies filed several lawsuits in an effort to overturn Wisconsin’s results. In each case, the courts rejected them.
The Wisconsin Elections Commission conducted a partial audit of its voting machines after the election. That audit uncovered no problems.
During a GOP-led hearing on the election last year, Republican Elections Commissioner Dean Knudson testified that there was no evidence in the election of “ballot dumps” and no fraud related to Dominion voting machines.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Republican Lawmakers Order Audit Of Wisconsin’s Election System was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Waukesha Republicans’ Pillow Paranoia - James Wigderson - Feb 25th, 2021
- Spindell Can Vote on Whether to Investigate Himself - Henry Redman - Feb 17th, 2021
- Murphy’s Law: 10 Republicans Accused of Voter Fraud - Bruce Murphy - Feb 16th, 2021
- Fraudulent Electors Convene to Cast State’s Electoral Votes Contrary to Popular Vote and State Statutes, Law Forward Seeks Accountability - Law Forward - Feb 16th, 2021
- GOP Lawmakers Order Audit of State’s Election System - Shawn Johnson - Feb 12th, 2021
- Data Wonk: New Voters Won the 2020 Election - Bruce Thompson - Jan 20th, 2021
- GOP State Legislators Asked Pence to Not Certify Election - Melanie Conklin - Jan 14th, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Condemns Republican Legislators’ Lies and Dangerous Rhetoric - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Jan 14th, 2021
- Tiffany, Fitzgerald Object To Some Biden Electors - Shawn Johnson - Jan 7th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here