State Officials Warn of Vaccine Trial Scams
Claiming to recruit participants for vaccine trials, they’ll request your personal information.
With news of progress in the effort to develop a COVID-19 vaccine, the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection (DATCP) and the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) are warning people of vaccine trial scams that aim to steal people’s personal information.
Scammers are using the recruitment of participants for vaccine trials as cover, according to a news release from DATCP and DHS.
Any clinical trial will require someone to give some personal information, according to the release, but never Social Security or financial account numbers.
DHS and DATCP say that if you are invited to join a clinical trial, you should first do a search for news of the trial and attempt to verify it with a database maintained by the National Institutes of Health.
“Clinical trials are big news; you should be able to find news stories online for legitimate trials on COVID-19 vaccines in your area by looking at local news sites,” the release states. “If you see an advertisement for a study, do an online search with the provided information and the terms “news,” “scam,” or “review” to check whether the study is legitimate. Do not click on links in emails, messages, or pop-up advertisements. Instead, use a verified website for the study host to ensure that you are not providing information to a scammer.”
Victims of scams can notify DATCP by filing a complaint online at datcp.wi.gov, calling the Consumer Protection Hotline at (800) 422-7128, or by emailing DATCPHotline@wisconsin.gov.
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
- Data Wonk: Biden Vaccine Plan Helps GOP Governors - Bruce Thompson - Sep 15th, 2021
- Gov. Evers, DHS Remind Wisconsinites to Get Vaccinated to Get $100 - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Sep 15th, 2021
- American Family Field COVID-19 Testing Site Closing - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 14th, 2021
- For Ron Johnson, Prolonging the Pandemic is Just Another Day at the Office - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Sep 14th, 2021
- Nursing Home Workers Resist Vaccines - Madeline Fuerstenberg - Sep 13th, 2021
- MKE County: Children Are Rising Share of COVID-19 Cases - Graham Kilmer - Sep 10th, 2021
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Sep 10th, 2021
- School Board Approves Vaccine Mandate for MPS Staff - Madeline Fox - Sep 10th, 2021
- City Hall: Milwaukee Planning Its Own COVID-19 Vaccine Incentive - Jeramey Jannene - Sep 10th, 2021
- Federal and State Officials Advise Wisconsinites That Making or Buying Fake COVID-19 Vaccine Cards is Illegal - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Sep 10th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here