Polls Missed on Trump Voters, Franklin Says
MU Law School pollster says Trump voters distrust and didn’t respond to polls.
Franklin, who runs the Marquette University Law School poll, said Trump supporters just didn’t respond to the polls.
Franklin was interviewed by journalist Mike Gousha during a virtual Greater Milwaukee Committee meeting Monday. Gousha is also a distinguished fellow in law and public policy at Marquette University Law School.
The Marquette poll released the week before the election, showed Biden leading Trump by 5 points among likely voters in Wisconsin with 48 percent of those surveyed said they support Biden, compared to 43 percent for Trump. The poll’s margin of error for likely voters was 4.4 percent.
Biden won Wisconsin by about 20,000 votes, or about 0.624 percentage points, out of nearly 3.3 million ballots counted.
The Associated Press called the presidential race for Biden on Saturday, when it said Pennsylvania’s 20 electoral votes put him over the 270-vote threshold needed to win the Electoral College.
The Marquette poll is the most extensive statewide polling project in Wisconsin history. Franklin has directed the poll since its inception in 2012 and is a professor of law and public policy at Marquette University Law School.
“I think the bottom line is, for the second election in a row, is polling did have substantial misses, but this time the misses were across the country, where in 2016, it was more focused in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania,” Franklin said.
In 2016, the Marquette poll was off by 7 points and projected then Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton to win. Trump won Wisconsin that election.
“This time, we were in 3 to 4 points, and we projected the right winner,” Franklin said.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Charles Franklin: Polling Underestimated Trump Supporters was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Trump Campaign Objects to Over 160,000 County Ballots - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Recount Releases First Results - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 23rd, 2020
- ‘MAGA’ Rally in Wauwatosa Gathers Hundreds - Ethan Duran - Nov 23rd, 2020
- Day Three of Recount Brings Increasing Speed - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 22nd, 2020
- Recount Day Two Brings Objections, Gridlock - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 21st, 2020
- Friday Photos: Inside the Recount - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 20th, 2020
- No Ballots Counted On First Day of Recount - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 20th, 2020
- What To Expect With Milwaukee’s Recount - Jeramey Jannene - Nov 19th, 2020
- State Recount Turns Into Partisan Battle - Ruth Conniff - Nov 19th, 2020
- WEC Orders Presidential Election Recount - Wisconsin Elections Commission - Nov 19th, 2020
Read more about 2020 General Election here