Court Upholds Evers Mask Mandate
St. Croix County judge says Evers has power to do this and Legislature can overthrow it.
Wisconsin’s statewide mask mandate remains in place after a St. Croix County judge rejected an effort by conservatives to block it.
Waterman said he was reluctant to step in as a member of the judiciary when the Legislature has the power to overturn the mask mandate, and it hasn’t done so.
“If the legislature is unconvinced that a state of emergency does exist, the legislature has the ultimate power to terminate it,” Waterman wrote.
It was the third time Evers has used the powers this year, something WILL argued the law did not allow.
“Nothing in the statute prohibits the governor from declaring successive states of emergency,” Waterman wrote.
Republicans could appeal the ruling.
Evers issued the latest order Sept. 22, citing an increase in COVID-19 cases across the state, and it lasts until Nov. 21.
Court Upholds Evers Administration’s Statewide Mask Mandate was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Pandemic Surging As Holidays Begin - Erik Gunn - Nov 24th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff in Honor of Officer Daniel J. Daly - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 23rd, 2021
- MATC to Host Public COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus Nov. 30 - Milwaukee Area Technical College - Nov 23rd, 2021
- UW Campuses Face Vaccine Mandate For Federal Contractors - Rich Kremer - Nov 22nd, 2021
- DHS Recommends COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Dose for Anyone 18 and Older - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Nov 19th, 2021
- Hospitals Relying on Temporary Travel Nurses - Shamane Mills - Nov 19th, 2021
- President Thompson, UW mascots celebrate successful Vax Up! “70 for 70” campaign - University of Wisconsin System - Nov 16th, 2021
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Nov 12th, 2021
- MKE County: COVID-19 Rising in Milwaukee County - Graham Kilmer - Nov 12th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff in Honor of Lt. Col. John A. Palese Jr. - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 12th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- Court Watch: Why Court Voided Evers Emergency Order - Gretchen Schuldt - Apr 5th, 2021
- Statement by Heartland Institute Director Jeré Fabick on WI Supreme Court Victory Against Gov. Tony Evers - Heartland Institute - Mar 31st, 2021
- Senator Agard: Statement on Supreme Court Decision - State Sen. Melissa Agard - Mar 31st, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Hyperpartisan Supreme Court is Endangering the Public - Democratic Party of Wisconsin - Mar 31st, 2021
- Wisconsin Supreme Court: Gov. Evers’ Multiple Emergency Declarations Violate Law - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Mar 31st, 2021
- Rep. Hesselbein Statement on Supreme Court Ruling on Emergency Orders - State Rep. Dianne Hesselbein - Mar 31st, 2021
- Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Decision - State Sen. Jon Erpenbach - Mar 31st, 2021
- Gov. Evers Releases Statement Regarding Supreme Court Decision - Gov. Tony Evers - Mar 31st, 2021
- Rep. Hintz: Statement on Wisconsin Supreme Court Ruling - State Rep. Gordon Hintz - Mar 31st, 2021
- State Supreme Court Overrules Evers’ Emergency Powers - Laurel White - Mar 31st, 2021
Read more about Statewide Mask Mandate here