Trump Campaign Events Canceled
After testing positive for COVID-19, Trump's Wisconsin rallies in Green Bay and Janesville are canceled.
Trump aides told The Washington Post that all of Trump’s political events will be canceled for the foreseeable future. As of Friday morning, Air Force One flight restrictions for Green Bay and Janesville airports and the president’s flights to the two cities have been canceled, according to the Wisconsin State Journal.
The Trump campaign had stops lined up for Saturday in Janesville and Green Bay, just as Wisconsin is experiencing a surge in cases and deaths.
The White House has not said how long Trump will be isolated, according to The New York Times.
The news of Trump and First Lady Melania Trump testing positive came after the two began a “quarantine process” because White House adviser Hope Hicks, one of the president’s closest aids, tested positive for the virus. Hicks traveled with Trump to Tuesday night’s presidential debate and to a rally in Minnesota on Wednesday.
The Janesville rally was originally planned for La Crosse on Saturday. La Crosse and Green Bay mayors, medical professionals, public health officials, and Rock County — where Janesville is located — officials had asked Trump to not come because of the dramatic spike in cases in the communities. Trump’s campaign stops typically draw thousands of attendees. After Rock County officials asked the president to cancel his visit Thursday, the campaign later told The Janesville Gazette later that same day that the visit would go forward.
“From a public health perspective, we certainly are pleased there won’t be a large gathering in the county during the peak time we’re facing right now,” Rock County Administrator Josh Smith told the Gazette Friday morning. “It would be great if any president would be able to come to Rock County if it was not in middle of the pandemic. We’ll look forward maybe to having that opportunity sometime after the election and after COVID ends.”
Campaign Stops In Janesville, Green Bay Canceled After Trump Tests Positive For Coronavirus was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Murphy’s Law: The Vanishing Courage of Mike Gallagher - Bruce Murphy - May 11th, 2021
- Op Ed: Liz Cheney’s Profile In Courage - Dave Cieslewicz - May 9th, 2021
- Spindell Gets Second Term on Elections Commission - Henry Redman - Apr 30th, 2021
- A Tale of Two Elections - Melanie Conklin - Apr 26th, 2021
- Elections Commission Head Saw No Problems in Green Bay - Megan Hart - Mar 31st, 2021
- ‘Kraken’ Lawsuits Not Based on Facts - Graham Kilmer - Mar 23rd, 2021
- Republicans Attack Zuckerberg Election Grants Again - Shawn Johnson - Mar 11th, 2021
- Supreme Court Brushes Off Trump Election Challenge - Graham Kilmer - Mar 8th, 2021
- U.S. Supreme Court Rejects Wisconsin ‘Kraken’ Suit - Graham Kilmer - Mar 1st, 2021
- Op Ed: Waukesha Republicans’ Pillow Paranoia - James Wigderson - Feb 25th, 2021
Read more about 2020 General Election here
- WI Daily: 517 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 11th, 2021
- Court Watch: Courts Face Shortage of Defense Lawyers - Gretchen Schuldt - May 11th, 2021
- COVID-19 pandemic heightens need for mental health professionals - Meta House - May 11th, 2021
- Milwaukee Bucks to Increase Fan Capacity at Fiserv Forum to 50% for Playoffs - Milwaukee Bucks - May 11th, 2021
- FDA Approves Vaccine for Kids 12 to 15 - Graham Kilmer - May 10th, 2021
- Black Husky Hosting Vaccine Clinic - Graham Kilmer - May 10th, 2021
- WI Daily: 205 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 10th, 2021
- It’s time to re-open City Hall - Ald. Michael Murphy - May 10th, 2021
- Officials Push To Vaccinate Kids 12 to 15 - Shamane Mills - May 10th, 2021
- WI Daily: 308 New COVID-19 Cases Reported - Urban Milwaukee - May 9th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here