Hours Cut at City’s Free COVID Test Sites
Two sites closing earlier because sun setting earlier as fall approaches.
The hours of operation have been reduced at the two largest COVID-19 testing sites in Milwaukee. The change comes even as testing has fallen in Milwaukee County and across the state in recent weeks.
The city’s community testing sites will now operate from 11:00 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Thursday and 11:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday and Saturday. Both sites are closed on Sunday.
The sites were previously open until 7:00 p.m. Monday through Thursday. The cause for the change?
“On Tuesday, September 15, 2020 it was determined the National Guard testing locations would change their hours of operation to accommodate for fall daylight hours,” wrote the Milwaukee Health Department in a press release.
The outdoor sites are staffed by a partnership of the health department and Wisconsin National Guard.
When the sites originally opened in May they were staffed for 12 hours a day, seven days a week. Hours have been gradually scaled back.
Through Monday the Chase Ave. site, open since early May, has seen 83,200 specimens collected. The Fairmount Ave. site, which began operating on June 1st after an earlier site was closed because of logistical issues, has been the site of 32,500 specimen collections.
While no appointment is required, preregistration speeds up turnover at the site and can aid in response times. An August test by Urban Milwaukee lasted 22 minutes, with results arriving 41 hours later.
Across the state, the National Guard has supported the collection of 465,400 samples, including at jails, prisons, nursing homes and community testing sites.
Additional information on the testing sites, including those operated throughout the state, can be found on the DHS website.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Americans for Prosperity Calls on Gov. Evers to Protect WI Workers Against Misguided Vaccine & Testing Mandates - AFP Wisconsin - Dec 2nd, 2021
- Protecting against a new variant - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Dec 2nd, 2021
- Get Vaccinated, Get Your Photo With Championship Trophy - Annie Mattea - Dec 1st, 2021
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services Secretary-designee Karen Timberlake’s Statement on CDC’s Recommendation of Booster Doses for All Adults - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Nov 30th, 2021
- Advisory from the City of Milwaukee Commissioner of Health - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Nov 30th, 2021
- State Health Officials Await Data On Omicron - Rich Kremer - Nov 30th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor Master Trooper Daniel Stainbrook - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 29th, 2021
- Pandemic Surging As Holidays Begin - Erik Gunn - Nov 24th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff in Honor of Officer Daniel J. Daly - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 23rd, 2021
- MATC to Host Public COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic at the Downtown Milwaukee Campus Nov. 30 - Milwaukee Area Technical College - Nov 23rd, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here