$300 Unemployment Boost Excludes Thousands
A requirement for the program will bypass thousands of Wisconsinites.
As many as 15,000 Wisconsinites will be excluded from a Trump administration supplement to unemployment insurance because of a requirement that recipients must be receiving at least $100 in weekly unemployment benefits, according to the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development.
The Lost Wage Assistance program, created by the Trump administration on Aug. 8, tacks on $300 in weekly benefits to those receiving regular state-level unemployment on two conditions: that they receive a minimum of $100 in weekly unemployment benefits, and that they certify they’re unemployed completely or partially due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
And because the program requires an individual to be getting at least $100 in weekly benefits, some experts worry that the program will not reach recipients who are the most in need.
Who Is Affected By The $100 Requirement?
DWD communications director Ben Jedd said that recipients of unemployment benefits who get less than $100 a week have an income of less than $10,000 a year. However, he noted that some of those recipients may have other sources of income from jobs not covered by unemployment insurance, such as those who are self-employed or who work in the gig economy.
Michele Evermore, an expert on the unemployment insurance system with the left-leaning National Employment Law Project, said she’s particularly worried about people in the food service industry, and tipped workers.
“I particularly worry about food service workers and people who rely largely on tips,” Evermore said. “They may have enough W2 income to qualify them for unemployment insurance, but it’s going to be hard for them to certify how much they earn besides that.”
“The (young people affected) may very well be living with a parent or two parents,” Burtless said. “So maybe it’s not a terrible hardship for those youngsters.”
But researchers also found that the vast majority of those ineligible due to the threshold were adults over the age of 20, and more than 60 percent were women.
“I can imagine a lot of the people past 25 may be … contributing importantly to the earned income of the family that the live (with),” he said. “And the fact that they are going to be cut off from this $300 per week (supplement) is going to represent a real hardship for a lot of those adults, some of whom have children, some of whom are the main source of labor income in the household that they live in.”
In an interview with WPR on Sept. 1, DWD Secretary Caleb Frostman said he was concerned that the requirement meant that “the people that need that benefit the most won’t be getting it.”
Why Require People To Get At Least $100?
The Trump administration has said that the $100 requirement was put in place in an effort to curb fraud and to ensure individuals who receive the LWA supplement were already qualified for an unemployment insurance program, according to The Washington Post.
Both Evermore and Burtless said they were confused by the claim that the requirement protects against fraud.
Evermore said the assertion doesn’t make sense to her because “most people who fraudulently apply for benefits, they apply for the maximum benefit. They impersonate somebody who would get the maximum benefit.”
Both said the speed with which the program was put together could help explain the reason for the requirement.
Frostman said last week that the $600 federal supplement passed by Congress and which expired July 31 did not have the same threshold.
“That was another positive aspect of the prior ($600 supplement from Congress),” Frostman said. “If you were eligible for $1 of an (unemployment insurance) program whether that was federal or state, you got the (benefit). So … it is a challenge with the $100 limit.”
Listen to the WPR report here.
Who Is Left Out Of Trump’s $300 Unemployment Insurance Boost? was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
More about the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Milwaukee Health Department Announces Upcoming Changes to COVID-19 Services - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Mar 17th, 2023
- Fitzgerald Applauds Passage of COVID-19 Origin Act - U.S. Rep Scott Fitzgerald - Mar 10th, 2023
- DHS Expands Free COVID-19 Testing Program - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Feb 10th, 2023
- MKE County: COVID-19 Hospitalizations Rising - Graham Kilmer - Jan 16th, 2023
- Not Enough Getting Bivalent Booster Shots, State Health Officials Warn - Gaby Vinick - Dec 26th, 2022
- Nearly All Wisconsinites Age 6 Months and Older Now Eligible for Updated COVID-19 Vaccine - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Dec 15th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Bi-Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Dec 9th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Disease Burden Remains Stable - Graham Kilmer - Nov 25th, 2022
- MKE County: Wastewater Data Shows COVID-19 Uptick - Graham Kilmer - Nov 18th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Bi-Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Nov 11th, 2022
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here