Milwaukee County Unemployment at 11.5%
City of Milwaukee unemployment at 12.8 percent.
The latest data indicates that as of June, the unemployment rate in Milwaukee County was 11.5 percent, according to the Wisconsin Department of Workforce Development (DWD).
That number puts the county roughly in line with the national unemployment rate calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics in June. The City of Milwaukee, however, had an unemployment rate of 12.8 percent based upon that data from June.
Both the city and county are well above the state’s 8.5 percent unemployment rate.
Last week the U.S. saw 1.4 million new claims for unemployment insurance. In Wisconsin there were 21,121 new claims in the past seven days.
Since the beginning of the pandemic there have been 53.1 million new claims for unemployment insurance across the country and nearly 800,000 in Wisconsin.
Last week there were 974,999 claims for Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (PUA). The total was up slightly from the week prior.
All these numbers show that despite recent drops in the unemployment rate at the local, state and national level, claims on unemployment insurance continue to come in at unprecedented rates.
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Nine Businesses Receive Warnings For Violating Milwaukee Mask Mandate - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 4th, 2020
- WI Daily: New COVID-19 Testing Record, 728 New Cases - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 4th, 2020
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report highlights public health measures taken by the Milwaukee Health and Fire Departments, Department of Administration, Election Commission, and the Wisconsin Department of Health Services - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Aug 4th, 2020
- State Poison Center and Health Agency Issue Warning about Certain Hand Sanitizers - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Aug 4th, 2020
- Your Right To Know: Release Business Names With COVID-19 Outbreaks - Christa Westerberg - Aug 4th, 2020
- CDC Says Election Did Not Cause COVID-19 Spike - Erik Gunn - Aug 4th, 2020
- Private, Charter Schools Plan Virtual Reopening - Sam Woods - Aug 4th, 2020
- Majority Leader Fitzgerald Acknowledges Evers’ Statements on Schools - Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald - Aug 4th, 2020
- Waukesha County Seeing Spike in COVID-19 - Corri Hess - Aug 4th, 2020
- Wisconsin Support Grows for Senator Baldwin’s Legislation to Provide Federal Funding for Local Jobs Programs - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Aug 4th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here