Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators
Partnering with Medtronic, they will be manufactured at Mount Pleasant site.
Foxconn has partnered with a Minneapolis-based medical technology company — Medtronic — to manufacture ventilators at its Mount Pleasant plant. At least 10,000 ventilators will be produced over the next year as the demand increases due to the new coronavirus pandemic.
The ventilators will be marketed and sold by Medtronic and produced by Foxconn Industrial Internet (Fii), a business group within Foxconn Technology Group.
In April, Foxconn announced it started producing procedural masks in Mount Pleasant in response to the pandemic. The masks are created for general use by law enforcement, pharmacists, caregivers and medical professionals.
If needed, Medtronic and Foxconn can increase production capacity to more than double the current Foxconn ventilator commitment, the companies said in a joint statement.
“Foxconn is a tremendous manufacturer of technologies, and we are the leading medical technology company in the globe, so this just made sense to give us flexibility and address the global pandemic,” said John Jordan, a spokesman with Medtronic.
Under Foxconn’s current contract with the state, those jobs will not count towards the company’s eligibility for state tax credits. Fii is not part of the original contract signed in 2017.
At that time, Foxconn promised to build a 22-million-square-foot manufacturing plant that would employ 13,000 people. State officials said late last year tax credits would not be awarded until the contract is amended. That has not yet taken place.
The Wisconsin Economic Development Corp. (WEDC) would not comment on current contract negotiations. The state Department of Administration did not respond to requests for comment.
In April, Foxconn announced the company had invested “hundreds of millions” of dollars in the development of the Wisconn Valley Science and Technology Park in Racine County and have met the state’s pay-for-performance criteria.
An independent third-party auditor was expected to verify Foxconn’s investment and job numbers by May 15; however, Foxconn asked for a 60-day extension “to accommodate the difficulties in performing the Agreed Upon Procedures caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.” WEDC granted the request.
The new deadline for Foxconn to provide WEDC with the auditor’s report is July 14, said Meredith Traudt, an attorney with WEDC.
Listen to the WPR report here.
Foxconn Partners To Produce 10K Ventilators In Mount Pleasant was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- WI Daily: Lowest COVID-19 Case Total In a Month - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 3rd, 2020
- COVID-19 Testing Quick and Easy At National Guard Sites - Jeramey Jannene - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Mask-Mandate Won’t Affect Voting In-Person - Brady Carlson - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Wisconsin National Guard continues statewide COVID-19 testing this week - Wisconsin National Guard Public Affairs - Aug 3rd, 2020
- How Will Schools Use CARES Funding? - Madeline Fox - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Op Ed: GOP-Controlled Senate Refuses to Act - Bill Kaplan - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Extends Meal Distribution Program - Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Public Museum to Reopen to the Public on August 21 - Milwaukee Public Museum - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Public Schools to Kick Off Welcome Week with Freshman Bridge - Milwaukee Public Schools - Aug 3rd, 2020
- Rental Assistance Program Continues to Face Challenges - Princess Safiya Byers - Aug 2nd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here
- State Reviewing Foxconn Jobs Report - Erik Gunn - Jul 23rd, 2020
- Foxconn Hosts Smart Manufacturing Web Conference, Launches iAI Institute - Foxconn Technology Group - Jul 10th, 2020
- Foxconn Will Make 10K Ventilators - Corri Hess - Jun 19th, 2020
- Medtronic and Foxconn Partner to Increase Ventilator Production - Foxconn Technology Group - Jun 18th, 2020
- Foxconn Audit Delayed Two Months - Erik Gunn - Jun 3rd, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn’s Profits Plunge By 90% - Bruce Murphy - May 19th, 2020
- Foxconn to Assemble Procedural Masks in Wisconsin for Pandemic Relief - Foxconn Technology Group - Apr 20th, 2020
- Murphy’s Law: Foxconn Squeezes Evers - Bruce Murphy - Apr 15th, 2020
- Foxconn Says It Earned Tax Credits - Corri Hess - Apr 9th, 2020
- Back in the News: Foxconn Plant Will Make Ventilators - Bruce Murphy - Apr 8th, 2020
Read more about Foxconn Facility here