State Campgrounds Reopening June 10
Restrooms open, but playgrounds and concessions remain closed.
The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources is reopening state campgrounds Wednesday, June 10. But the agency says campers will see changes in order to ensure the safety of staff and visitors during the coronavirus pandemic.
In an announcement Thursday, the DNR said campgrounds will feature touchless check-in and signs notifying visitors how to recreate responsibly.
Park offices will remain closed to the public, but reservations are being accepted over the phone.
Camping at Rock Island State Park in Door County remains closed through the end of the month as the Washington Island Ferry has suspended all trips to and from the island.
Group camping, shelters and other sites will also remain closed through the end of the month. People will receive a full refund for any prior bookings. Special event permits are also canceled through June 30.
Campers are advised to buy their own firewood, which must be purchased within 10 miles of the campground to avoid spreading tree-killing pests.
If campgrounds experience high demand, properties are anticipated to close until visitors leave to accommodate new arrivals.
State natural areas including Pewits Nest, Parfrey’s Glen, Dells of the Wisconsin River, and Gibraltar Rock remain closed.
State parks are open from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m., seven days a week, and reservations will be accepted at 1-888-947-2757 and online.
State Campgrounds Set To Reopen June 10 was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Testing Continues to Fall, Case Rate Continues to Climb - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 5th, 2020
- WI Daily: Wisconsin Reports Biggest One-Day COVID-19 Case Increase - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Beware of Contact Tracing Scams - Bridgit Bowden - Jul 4th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Spread Keeps Accelerating in Wisconsin - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Moves Backward In Fight Against COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- State Unemployment Insurance System Failing Many - Bram Sable-Smith - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Racial Disparities Found in Safer-At-Home Arrests - Edgar Mendez - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Johnson Discusses Small Business Recovery at Axios Virtual Event - U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson - Jul 3rd, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4 Assessment Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 3rd, 2020
- WI Daily: 14-Day Positive Case Rate Continues Upward Climb - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here