Due to the pandemic, for the first time in the festival's history it is canceled
Summerfest, Milwaukee’s multi-day music festival along the city’s lakefront, has been canceled because of concerns over the coronavirus.
It is the first time the festival has been canceled in its 53-year run.
The festival was supposed to be June 24-July 5 and was then moved to Sept. 3-5, 10-12 and 17-19. The massive festival will take place in 2021, and the dates will be announced in the weeks to come.
The decision came “after careful, diligent, and thoughtful consideration and out of an abundance of caution for the health and safety of our community — including artists, fans, vendors, participants and staff,” according to Smiley’s statement.
This year’s scheduled performers included Justin Bieber, the Dave Matthews Band, Guns ‘N’ Roses, Chris Stapleton and Blink-182, among others.
Information on admission refunds can be found at summerfest.com.
Summerfest began in 1968 and hosts music acts ranging from local favorites to the most popular acts in the world. About 800,000 people from Milwaukee and around the world attend the music festival that generates $186 million in economic impact each year, according to Summerfest.
For The First Time Ever Summerfest Is Canceled was originally published by Wisconsin Public Radio.
- Summer Gallery Night MKE to be held online July 13 through July 18 - Historic Third Ward Association - Jul 10th, 2020
- WI Daily: Wisconsin Sets Single-Day COVID-19 Case High, Again - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 10th, 2020
- Thompson Seeks $110M for UW System’s COVID-19 Response - Rich Kremer - Jul 10th, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4 Assessment Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 10th, 2020
- Museum of Wisconsin Art Receives NEA Cares Act Grant - Museum of Wisconsin Art - Jul 10th, 2020
- Scaling Language Barriers in Fight Against COVID-19 - Matt Martinez - Jul 10th, 2020
- Milwaukee County’s Daily COVID-19 Case Total Rising - Graham Kilmer - Jul 9th, 2020
- MKE Cares gains approval from Public Safety and Health Committee - Ald. Marina Dimitrijevic - Jul 9th, 2020
- WI Daily: Wisconsin Sets New Single-Day COVID-19 Case High - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 9th, 2020
- City Hall: Mask Mandate Passes Committee - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 9th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here