Evers Joins Phone Call With Trump
President urges governors "to get tougher” with protestors. Evers says nothing.
President Donald Trump held a phone call with governors from around the country Monday. Attorney General Bill Barr and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Mark A. Milley, Secretary of Defense Mark Esper joined in the call.
Trump began by castigating governors for not cracking down on the protesters strongly enough, according to a transcript from CNN:
“People here that you’ll be seeing a lot of. Gen. Milley is here. He’s head of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, a fighter, a war hero, a lot of victories and no losses and he hates to see the way it’s being handled in the various states and I just put him in charge. The attorney general is here, Bill Barr, and we will activate Bill Barr and activate him very strongly. We’re strongly — the secretary of defense is here.
“We’re strongly looking for arrests. You have to get much tougher. You’re gonna get over it.”
“You have to dominate. If you don’t dominate, you’re wasting your time,” Trump continued. “They’re going to run all over you, you’ll look like a bunch of jerks. You have to dominate, and you have to arrest people, and you have to try people and they have to go to jail for long periods of time.”
Trump called on Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz to respond and praised Walz for setting an example — and for taking direction from Trump. “I know Gov. Walz is on the phone and we spoke and I fully agree with the way he handled it the last couple of days, I asked him to do that.”
Later he again praised Walz: “Tim you called up big numbers and the big numbers knocked them out so fast it was like bowling pins. … So, we automatically have our experiment and that’s … I hate to say, Minnesota, you had the first part, which was weak and pathetic, and you had the second part, which was domination, and those guys probably, largely left their [inaudible] one of your cities, one of your states because they’re not getting anywhere in Minnesota anymore. So you have that perfect contrast of Minnesota phase one, Minnesota phase two. It’s a beautiful thing to watch. It just can’t be any better.”
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
- Tosa Alderwoman Calls for Firing Officer - Isiah Holmes - Jul 13th, 2020
- Protesters Rally for Joel Acevedo - Urban Milwaukee - Jul 13th, 2020
- Black Lives Matter Has LGBTQ+ Voices - Matt Martinez - Jul 13th, 2020
- Op Ed: The Tale of Two Milwaukees - Yui Hashimoto - Jul 12th, 2020
- Legislature Unlikely to Respond to BLM Movement Soon - Laurel White - Jul 11th, 2020
- How Many Police Live Where They Work? - Will Cushman - Jul 11th, 2020
- Support for Black-Owned Businesses Rising? - Megan Hart - Jul 11th, 2020
- City Hall: Council Seeks Police Reform, But Will It Happen? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 10th, 2020
- Selection of next executive director of the Fire and Police Commission must involve community and must be transparent - Milwaukee Common Council - Jul 10th, 2020
- Tosa PD Protesters Issue List of Demands - Isiah Holmes - Jul 10th, 2020
Read more about George Floyd Protests here