Northside Testing Center Up and Running
A new center, replacing one shut down more than a week ago, started testing Monday.
Community testing for COVID-19 resumed on the North Side this week.
Less than two weeks ago, the testing site at Midtown Center was “paused” to give officials time to respond to a backlog of test results, Mayor Tom Barrett said.
The new site, which started testing Monday morning, is at the Custer Campus, which is part of the Barack Obama School of Career and Technical Education, formerly Custer High School, at 5075 N. Sherman Blvd.
It tested 215 people Monday, Barrett said. The Southside testing site at UMOS, 2701 S. Chase Ave, tested 703 people yesterday. In total, the community testing sites have now tested 21,000 people.
The recent George Floyd protests in Milwaukee have brought thousands into the streets, often in close proximity to one another. Because of this, Milwaukee County Executive David Crowley urged anyone that was at a protest and is experiencing a COVID-19 symptom to call their doctor or get tested at one of the community testing sites.
As Urban Milwaukee previously reported, when the site was shut down it was initially stated that this was so officials could “evaluate the need for testing and next steps.”
The backlog was tied to processing by Madison-based Exact Science, and officials have previously said the backlog was impacting contact tracing. City Hall was apparently getting calls from residents saying they took a test 10 days prior and still hadn’t gotten their results.
Barrett said Tuesday the pause allowed them to deal with the backlog, “We feel that is now heading in the right direction. We didn’t want people to take a test and not get the results, we felt that was unfair to them.”
If you think stories like this are important, become a member of Urban Milwaukee and help support real, independent journalism. Plus you get some cool added benefits, all detailed here.
- Two Milwaukee Brewers Have COVID-19 - Brady Carlson - Jul 7th, 2020
- Legislators Who Opposed Pandemic Aid Grab Grants - Erik Gunn - Jul 7th, 2020
- Wisconsin To Have Nation’s COVID-19 Testing Center - Rob Mentzer - Jul 7th, 2020
- BBB Alert: Mask Exemption Cards are Fake - Wisconsin Better Business Bureau - Jul 7th, 2020
- Milwaukee-Area Company Offers 1 Million Free Masks To Help Residents Comply With Proposed City Mandatory Mask Ordinance For Public Places - Rebel Converting - Jul 7th, 2020
- City Hall: What Is And Isn’t In Milwaukee’s Mask Mandate - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 6th, 2020
- MKE Cares Ordinance Released: Plan Includes Masks for All and Gains Support - Ald. Marina Dimitrijevic - Jul 6th, 2020
- WI Daily: Three Days of No Deaths, 18 Days of Rising Case Rate - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 6th, 2020
- UW Tests Drug For COVID-19 Complications - Shamane Mills - Jul 6th, 2020
- Milwaukee Art Museum Reopening July 16 - Milwaukee Art Museum - Jul 6th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here