State Creates Pandemic Rent Assistance Program
Gov. Evers is using Cares Act funds to help low-income residents pay for housing.
In the latest distribution of Wisconsin’s share of federal COVID-19 relief aid, low-income Wisconsin renters who have lost income because of the pandemic will get financial help to pay back rent, security deposits, and related assistance.
Aid is available to adult residents with incomes at or below 80% of the median in their county in the month they apply or before. The program provides up to $3,000 in rental payments, security deposits, or both, paid directly to the landlord.
Agencies belonging to the Wisconsin Community Action Program Association will receive the applications and distribute the funds. The program will be overseen by the state Department of Administration.
The announcement was Wisconsin’s third in as many days of new spending made possible under the CARES Act. On Monday, the state announced a $75 million grant program for small business along with a $51 million program to support childcare providers. On Tuesday, Evers unveiled $1.17 billion in funding for testing, contact tracing and related public health initiatives to curb COVID-19.
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
- Milwaukee County’s Daily COVID-19 Case Total Rising - Graham Kilmer - Jul 9th, 2020
- MKE Cares gains approval from Public Safety and Health Committee - Ald. Marina Dimitrijevic - Jul 9th, 2020
- WI Daily: Wisconsin Sets New Single-Day COVID-19 Case High - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 9th, 2020
- City Hall: Mask Mandate Passes Committee - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 9th, 2020
- Unemployment Claims Continue At Unprecedented Rate - Graham Kilmer - Jul 9th, 2020
- Gov. Evers Announces Successful Roll Out of Online COVID-19 Test Registration at National Guard Testing Sites - Gov. Tony Evers - Jul 9th, 2020
- Assembly GOP Pitches Unemployment Loans - Erik Gunn - Jul 9th, 2020
- Baldwin, Colleagues Call for $32B in Transit Funding in Next COVID-19 Stimulus Package - U.S. Sen. Tammy Baldwin - Jul 9th, 2020
- Marquette offering mask matching in giving program - Marquette University - Jul 9th, 2020
- Data Wonk: The War Against Masks - Bruce Thompson - Jul 8th, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here