Evers Calls For Federal Aid As Revenues Decline
State revenues are being decimated by the economic shutdown.
Gov. Tony Evers has joined Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and Pennsylvania Gov. Tom Wolf in urging President Trump to expedite additional resources for all states and localities so that they can address economic shortfalls resulting from the COVID-19 crisis.
“Without this leadership, the damage to our state economies will be exacerbated by the cuts we know we will be forced to make,” the governors said in a letter to Trump Wednesday.
They noted that National Governors Association that Chair Maryland Gov. Larry Hogan and Vice Chair New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo support $500 billion in state stabilization funds “that will allow for the replacement of lost revenues and with the maximum flexibility possible so the funding can be used beyond those costs directly tied to COVID-19 related expenses.”
As of Friday afternoon, the Wisconsin Department of Health Services (DHS) reported 4,045 positive cases of COVID-19 in Wisconsin, with 205 deaths from the disease.
To slow the spread of COVID-19, DHS, at Evers’ direction, instituted a Safer at Home order March 25, temporarily closing non-essential businesses. On Thursday, April 16, the order was extended from its current April 24 expiration through Memorial Day weekend until May 26.
The governor’s office predicts Wisconsin would lose $2 billion in revenues, while unemployment has already spiked to 15%, due to measures taken to halt the spread of COVID-19.
Allison Donahue of Michigan Advance contributed to this report.
Reprinted with permission of Wisconsin Examiner.
- DHS Provides Update on Omicron Variant - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Dec 3rd, 2021
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Dec 3rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff in Honor of Firefighter Brandon R. Romo - Gov. Tony Evers - Dec 3rd, 2021
- Americans for Prosperity Calls on Gov. Evers to Protect WI Workers Against Misguided Vaccine & Testing Mandates - AFP Wisconsin - Dec 2nd, 2021
- Protecting against a new variant - Common Council President Cavalier Johnson - Dec 2nd, 2021
- Get Vaccinated, Get Your Photo With Championship Trophy - Annie Mattea - Dec 1st, 2021
- Wisconsin Department of Health Services Secretary-designee Karen Timberlake’s Statement on CDC’s Recommendation of Booster Doses for All Adults - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Nov 30th, 2021
- Advisory from the City of Milwaukee Commissioner of Health - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Nov 30th, 2021
- State Health Officials Await Data On Omicron - Rich Kremer - Nov 30th, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor Master Trooper Daniel Stainbrook - Gov. Tony Evers - Nov 29th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here