Governor Evers Blocks Evictions, Foreclosures During Pandemic
Emergency order in effect for 60 days.
Governor Tony Evers issued an emergency order Friday afternoon banning evictions and foreclosure actions for 60 days.
The order, signed Friday, March 27th, builds on judicial actions in Dane and Milwaukee counties. Last week Milwaukee County Circuit Judge Pedro Colon ordered approximately 50 pending evictions in Milwaukee County not be served until after the court reviews them in mid-April.
The move comes as the COVID-19 pandemic has caused officials to order non-essential businesses to close or modify their operations and a record number of unemployment claims were filed.
“During this time individuals, families, and small businesses may see disruptions in paychecks due to losing hours, tips, business, or employment,” said Evers in a statement. “This is another step we can take to prioritize the health and safety of Wisconsinites during this public health emergency.”
The federal Department of Housing and Urban Development, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac have already suspended evictions and foreclosures for a period of 60 days.
“Evictions and foreclosures pose a direct and serious threat to the health and well-being of Wisconsinites, ensuring they are able to keep a roof over their heads and those in social services can prioritize assisting those who currently do not have shelter is critically important,” said Evers.
The order does allow evictions in domestic violence cases and when there is an imminent threat of violence.
Sheriff’s sales of property are also suspended under the order.
A full copy of the order can be read on Urban Milwaukee.
- DHS Urges COVID-19 Vaccination for a Healthy School Year - Wisconsin Department of Health Services - Aug 15th, 2022
- Milwaukee Health Department Begins Administering Novavax COVID-19 Vaccine - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Aug 9th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Aug 5th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Still Rising in Milwaukee - Graham Kilmer - Jul 29th, 2022
- Public Awareness Campaign Seeks to Boost COVID-19 Vaccinations - PrincessSafiya Byers - Jul 28th, 2022
- Nearly Half of State Has High COVID-19 Level - Erik Gunn - Jul 24th, 2022
- MKE County: COVID-19 Level Increasing In Milwaukee - Graham Kilmer - Jul 22nd, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 22nd, 2022
- MKE County: Milwaukee County Has High Level of COVID-19 - Graham Kilmer - Jul 15th, 2022
- City of Milwaukee Weekly COVID-19 Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 15th, 2022
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here