Senators Must Pass Coronavirus Act
House passed relief bill goes to Senate, Johnson and Baldwin should support it.
COVID-19 is here, and it has been a sobering week for Wisconsin. As schools close, sporting events cancel, and grocery aisles go bare, there is a sense of uneasiness.
In this time of need, communities across our state are coming together, whether it is the governor declaring a state of emergency or local school districts continuing to provide free meals for students. They are acting to protect the safety and wellbeing of Wisconsinites.
And, that’s what the people of Wisconsin should expect of their elected officials, during a time in which we need all hands on deck.
In our nation’s capital, there is a welcomed bipartisan effort as Republicans, Democrats and even President Donald Trump have come together in support of the Families First CoronaVirus Response Act., which passed the House of Representatives on a vote of 363-40.
People across our state are being forced to make the difficult decision between going to work sick or staying home without pay. They fear getting other people sick but they also fear not being able to pay their utility bill or mortgage.
While the Families First CoronaVirus Act is not perfect, it is the first step to providing the resources to protect the health and well-being of our citizens by providing two weeks of paid sick leave and up to three months of family medical leave, extending unemployment insurance, expanding food assistance, and increasing Medicaid funding.
This vital legislation is now with the Senate, and I urge Wisconsin Senators Ron Johnson and Tammy Baldwin to support this bipartisan act. We need our federal representatives to lead in this time of uncertainty and advocate for resources that will help our people, their families, and our businesses.
As Governor Evers has stated, “this bipartisan effort to respond to the public health emergency that our nation faces is critical and must come quickly to ensure an appropriate public health and economic response.”
As elected officials, protecting Wisconsinites should be our number one priority. We simply do not have time for partisan politics. Coronavirus won’t wait, nor should we. Senator Johnson and Senator Baldwin please support the Families First CoronaVirus Act.
Related Legislation: H.R.6201 - Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- WI Daily: Wisconsin Reports Biggest One-Day COVID-19 Case Increase - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 4th, 2020
- Beware of Contact Tracing Scams - Bridgit Bowden - Jul 4th, 2020
- WI Daily: COVID-19 Spread Keeps Accelerating in Wisconsin - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Milwaukee Moves Backward In Fight Against COVID-19 - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 3rd, 2020
- State Unemployment Insurance System Failing Many - Bram Sable-Smith - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Racial Disparities Found in Safer-At-Home Arrests - Edgar Mendez - Jul 3rd, 2020
- Johnson Discusses Small Business Recovery at Axios Virtual Event - U.S. Sen. Ron Johnson - Jul 3rd, 2020
- The City of Milwaukee Phase 4 Assessment Update - City of Milwaukee Health Department - Jul 3rd, 2020
- WI Daily: 14-Day Positive Case Rate Continues Upward Climb - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
- City Hall: What Should Or Shouldn’t Be in Milwaukee Mask Mandate? - Jeramey Jannene - Jul 2nd, 2020
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here