Senators Must Pass Coronavirus Act
House passed relief bill goes to Senate, Johnson and Baldwin should support it.
COVID-19 is here, and it has been a sobering week for Wisconsin. As schools close, sporting events cancel, and grocery aisles go bare, there is a sense of uneasiness.
In this time of need, communities across our state are coming together, whether it is the governor declaring a state of emergency or local school districts continuing to provide free meals for students. They are acting to protect the safety and wellbeing of Wisconsinites.
And, that’s what the people of Wisconsin should expect of their elected officials, during a time in which we need all hands on deck.
In our nation’s capital, there is a welcomed bipartisan effort as Republicans, Democrats and even President Donald Trump have come together in support of the Families First CoronaVirus Response Act., which passed the House of Representatives on a vote of 363-40.
People across our state are being forced to make the difficult decision between going to work sick or staying home without pay. They fear getting other people sick but they also fear not being able to pay their utility bill or mortgage.
While the Families First CoronaVirus Act is not perfect, it is the first step to providing the resources to protect the health and well-being of our citizens by providing two weeks of paid sick leave and up to three months of family medical leave, extending unemployment insurance, expanding food assistance, and increasing Medicaid funding.
This vital legislation is now with the Senate, and I urge Wisconsin Senators Ron Johnson and Tammy Baldwin to support this bipartisan act. We need our federal representatives to lead in this time of uncertainty and advocate for resources that will help our people, their families, and our businesses.
As Governor Evers has stated, “this bipartisan effort to respond to the public health emergency that our nation faces is critical and must come quickly to ensure an appropriate public health and economic response.”
As elected officials, protecting Wisconsinites should be our number one priority. We simply do not have time for partisan politics. Coronavirus won’t wait, nor should we. Senator Johnson and Senator Baldwin please support the Families First CoronaVirus Act.
Related Legislation: H.R.6201 - Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- State Creates 4 Community Vaccine Clinics - Megan Hart - Feb 24th, 2021
- State Vaccination Rate Increasing - Graham Kilmer - Feb 24th, 2021
- Wisconsin’s Emergency Powers Laws in Urgent Need of Reform - Wisconsin Institute for Law & Liberty - Feb 24th, 2021
- Souls to the Polls Urges Sen. Johnson to Vote ‘Yes’ on COVID-19 Relief Bill in the U.S. Senate - Souls to the Polls Milwaukee - Feb 24th, 2021
- WI Daily: 566 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 23rd, 2021
- Gov. Evers Orders Flags to Half-Staff to Honor the More Than 6,300 Wisconsinites and 500,000 Americans Lost to COVID-19 - Gov. Tony Evers - Feb 23rd, 2021
- WI Daily: 423 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 22nd, 2021
- Supervisor Goodwin Calls on Legislature and Governor Evers to Enact Wisconsin Stimulus Package - Sup. Shawn Rolland - Feb 22nd, 2021
- WI Daily: 403 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 21st, 2021
- WI Daily: 676 New COVID-19 Cases - Urban Milwaukee - Feb 20th, 2021
Read more about Coronavirus Pandemic here