Free Irish History Book For New Members
Free for new Urban Milwaukee members: Carl Baehr's 'History of the Irish in Milwaukee."
Urban Milwaukee columnist Carl Baehr, who writes our popular City Streets column, now has a new local history book: From the Emerald Isle to the Cream City: A History of the Irish in Milwaukee. The longtime city historian chronicles how the Irish influenced the political, educational, religious and sports landscape of Milwaukee and their impact on other ethnic groups, while overcoming early poverty and bigotry to help make Milwaukee the city that it is today. Quite a story.
Urban Milwaukee is jointly hosting the book launch event Tuesday November 13th at 6 p.m, at Milwaukee County Historical Society (910 N. Old World Third St.), including a reading and presentation by Baehr followed by a book signing. But we are giving away copies of the book, published by Everything Goes Media, to our new members. That’s right, if you sign up to become a monthly or annual member, we’ll give you a free copy of the new book.
This deal is exclusive to new Urban Milwaukee members and valid only through this Friday, November 16th.
Want to know more about becoming a member? Not only will you be supporting trusted local journalism, you’ll get:
- Free tickets to concerts, festivals, and other events
- Invitations to member-only events with a chance to meet and gab with Urban Milwaukee staff, including our periodic Beer Bashes that explore Milwaukee breweries
- A better, faster photo browser on the website
- Access to an advertising-free daily or weekly emails
- A website free of banner ads that provides faster page loads and a unique, editorial-only experience
- A chance to provide support that assures Urban Milwaukee can focus on smart, substantive news coverage rather than clickbait
- A 10 percent discount on all merchandise at Urban Milwaukee: The Store, located at 755 N. Milwaukee St.
- Ability to comment on stories
And during this limited time deal, you’ll also receive a free copy of Carl Baehr’s new book From the Emerald Isle to the Cream City: A History of the Irish in Milwaukee valued at $19.95. All of this is just $9/month, or $99/year. Signing up is easy, and you’re welcome to cancel at any time. Once you’ve become a member, you’ll be contacted via email to arrange for you to pickup your book.
And if you’re an existing member or reader, you are welcome to secure the book in advance and get 10 percent off using the discount code “citystreets” either online or in-store at Urban Milwaukee: The Store.
For more information on the Urban Milwaukee and Milwaukee County Historical Society book launching event, click here.