Feminism at Inova, Milwaukee artists at MOWA, art in the streets along Fond du Lac Avenue.
It is a particularly big weekend for public art and festivities, coinciding with the opening of IN:SITE’s new project, as well as some other special events.
THURSDAY, JUNE 27
2155 N. Prospect Avenue
As part of the programming related to the current Martha Wilson exhibition at Inova and The Personal is Political: Martha Wilson and MKE on view at Portrait Society Gallery, a new generation of artists is taking up the issues implicit in her work. Ashley Janke and Ashley Coffey will lead a discussion on topics including beauty, gender, and sexism as encountered in contemporary society.
FRIDAY, JUNE 28
Museum of Wisconsin Art
205 Veterans Avenue, West Bend
Opening reception 5-8 p.m.
Exhibition continues through September 1
The State Gallery at MOWA will host an exhibition of 25 works by 19 artists counted among the 115 members of the League of Milwaukee Artists. This juried exhibition features pieces by artists who call Milwaukee and its many surrounding communities home.
SATURDAY, JUNE 29
Fond du Lac Avenue from 17th Street to 37th Street
A year of planning and preparation has gone into this exhibition of temporary public art, installed along a 20-block stretch of Fond du Lac Avenue. The artists involved with the project have made use of a wide variety of materials, from text woven onto chain-link fence with plastic tape, to painted murals, large photographs, and sculptural installations.
The opening weekend will be celebrated with a series of events, including tours at noon, 2 pm., and 4 p.m., led by project planner Ashley Janke and leaving from the Sherman Park Community Association (3526 W. Fond du Lac Avenue).
Additionally, IN:SITE has plenty of other activities scheduled for the day:
- On Saturday, June 29, Wild Space Dance Company is working with youths from North Division Boys & Girls Club and the student dance company Swag Prep for performances at 1 and 2 p.m. at the Fondy Farmers Market, 2200 W. Fond du Lac Avenue. See dance and pick out fresh produce.
After the Fondy Farmers Market closes at 3 p.m., Johnsons Park Neighborhood Association will help IN:SITE host “Art in the Park” from 3-6 p.m. at 1919 W. Fond du Lac Avenue. This event for families will feature:
- 3:30 p.m. “Out To Lunch–the Fresh Food Variety Show” celebrating the urban garden movement by Milwaukee Public Theatre
- 4:15 p.m. “A Midnight Cry: The Underground Railroad to Freedom” gives a sneak peak of the First Stage play
- 5 p.m. Drumming and dance program arranged by lead artist George Jones
- Plus workshops, tours, culture stands from Wormfarm Institute, samples of fresh juice and cookies from Walnut Way and Amaranth, and information tables.
SUNDAY, JUNE 30
Fondy Farmers Market
2200 W. Fond du Lac Avenue
11 a.m.-5 p.m.
Continuing the festivities on Fond du Lac Avenue in the neighborhood of the IN:SITE project is the first annual Milwaukee Neighborhood Art Fair. More than 100 vendors will be part of the event, featuring a variety of art and creative items.