UWM Picks Our Three Favorite Dorm Sites As Finalists
The University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee Real Estate Foundation announced the final three sites (narrowed from a field of 8) for the new 500 to 700 bed dorm to be built.
Boulder Venture: The old Prospect Mall at 2217-2239 N. Prospect Ave. and parking lot at 2214-2228 N. Prospect Ave. between Ivanhoe Place and Kenilworth Place. The Prospect Mall building, bought by Boulder Venture in 2004, has about 42,000 square feet.
Mandel Group, Inc.: Property that abuts Milwaukee River corridor, E. North Ave., N. Cambridge Ave. and Wisconsin Paperboard, 1514 E. Thomas Ave.
Phelan Development, LLC and Towne Investments: 1744 N. Farwell Ave. (southeast corner of N. Farwell Ave. and E. Royall Place).
Our picks for the three best sites were…
Best sites currently for the new UWM freshman dormitory
1. Prospect Mall Site
2. Near Brady Street Site
3. Hometown Site
The same three sites. Now we’re not vein or ignorant enough to think that anyone from UWM based their decisions off our conclusions. It is possible though they used some of the same logic we did though to get to their conclusion. They obviously have much more data than we do, but at this point let’s go over again what we know about each site.
Site #1 – The Prospect Mall
Actual Location: Prospect Avenue between Ivanhoe Place & Kenilworth Place
What’s There Now: Former Prospect Mall, currently empty, along with surface parking lot across Farwell
Note: We have heard that this project would potentially only use the east side of Prospect, the surface parking lot and Qdoba. We are unsure how it would integrate into the currently empty mall. If this is true, it could change our ranking (see bottom of article) of the site. UPDATE We contacted Boulder Venture to clarify this question but they are unable to comment on the proposal at this time.
- Close to other dorm (Kenilworth) and close to campus
- On an existing bus route (30)
- Uses a currently unused property
- Would help area businesses by delivering 500 new customers
- Would please students to be close to other students
- Would create another cluster of students possibly creating more neighborhood backlash
Site #2 – Near Brady Street Site
Actual Location: 1744 N. Farwell Avenue, Southeast Corner of North Farwell Avenue and East Royall Place
What’s There Now: Surface Parking Lot
- Would deliver 500 new customers to Brady Street area
- Replaces existing surface parking lot
- Close to entertainment for students
- On existing bus route (30)
- Would be furthest dorm from campus
Site #4 – Hometown Gas Station
Actual Location: 1436 North Avenue
What’s There Now: Abandoned gas station
- On North Avenue near entertainment district
- On existing transit route (21)
- Inbetween both Riverview and Kenilworth dorms
- Next to river
- Easy for current UWM Shuttle to stop here on route from Riverview
- Would draw ire of many residents because of Milwaukee River Overlay District due to its spot along river
- Nearby residents would certainly raise a fuss about parking, congestion, regardless if it were true or not.
Let the debate continue.