Youth Council awards $137,978 for Milwaukee youth programs
News release from the City of Milwaukee Youth Council
The City of Milwaukee Youth Council has allocated $137,978 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) funding to five agencies that will use the money for initiatives ranging from health improvement, leadership development, sustainable food production and job skills training, to reducing crime and preparing Milwaukee youth for college.
The allocations were awarded following agency presentations that took place in August during a seven-hour meeting of the Youth Council at City Hall. During that meeting, agencies presented details about their proposals and answered questions posed by Youth Council members.
The funding recommendations were approved this morning by the full Common Council.
The allocations were:
- $25,000 to Casa Romero Renewal Center, Inc. to continue and extend the Church’s spiritual mission to Milwaukee’s urban population.
- $25,000 to the First Stage, Inc. to engage minds, and transform lives by creating extraordinary theater experiences for young people and families.
- $25,000 to Growing Power, Inc. – Youth Services to allow young people to take part in a year-round leadership and development program in urban gardening and sustainable food production and maintenance.
- $37,162 to the Safe and Sound, Inc. to achieve effective crime reduction, increased economic viability and proactive youth development.
- $25, 816 to the Social Development Commission to provide college preparation and career guidance for 100 high school students — a proposal created by the Youth Advisory Board of the SDC.
Follow the Youth Council on Twitter @mkeyouthcouncil or via the MYC Facebook page at www.facebook.com/mkeyouthcouncil/
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by City of Milwaukee Youth Council
The City of Milwaukee Youth Council has recommended the allocation of $138,755 in Community Development Block Grant funding to six agencies.
The allocation recommendations will be forwarded to the Common Council’s Community and Economic Development Committee.
The Community and Economic Development Committee today signed off on the Milwaukee Youth Council’s recommended funding allocations totaling $73,960 in Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) reprogramming funds for youth-oriented programming.