State of Economy and Direction of the Country Among Biggest Concerns Listed in the 2016 Fifth District Survey Results
The annual district survey is another tool Congressman Sensenbrenner uses to ensure he is best serving those he represents.
Brookfield, WI – Today, Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner released the 2016 results of his annual district survey, which are based on 3714 respondents throughout the Fifth Congressional District.
Each year, Congressman Sensenbrenner hosts more than 100 town hall meetings and office hours in communities across the district, as well as responds to thousands of constituent letters on various legislative issues. The annual district survey is another tool Congressman Sensenbrenner uses to ensure he is best serving those he represents.
Congressman Sensenbrenner: “My legislative priorities are determined by the needs of those I represent, and the annual survey is just one of the ways I’m able to learn their thoughts and concerns about the direction of our communities and our nation. It’s a great honor to serve my constituents in Congress, and I appreciate the time and effort each respondent took to participate in this year’s survey.”
- 72% believe the country is headed in the wrong direction
- Only 17% rate the economy as “good,” while 80% rate it fair or poor
- 67% believe the Obama administration has violated the balance of powers
The questions, answer options, and results in full are below:
1. Do you believe the country is headed in the right direction?
- Yes- 16%
- No- 72%
- Other- 11%
2. Rate the condition of the economy.
- Excellent- 1%
- Good- 17%
- Fair- 49%
- Poor- 31%
- Other- 2%
3. What is the greatest economic challenge facing your family? (Choose one)
- Stagnant wages- 21%
- Rising price of consumer goods- 45%
- Debt- 6%
- Lack of employment or underemployment- 9%
- Other- 20%
4. What is your biggest concern/ complaint with the Affordable Care Act, also known as Obamacare?
- Its effect on small business- 16%
- Cost/ Rising premiums- 45%
- Losing your health coverage- 8%
- Losing your doctor- 5%
- I have no concerns or complaints- 26%
5. Do you believe that law enforcement agencies should be allowed access to encrypted information in certain circumstances in order to prevent and/or stop terrorism, and to solve cases of terrorism against the United States?
- Yes- 69%
- No 15%
- Undecided- 16%
6. Drug overdoses are the leading cause of injury-related deaths in the U.S., eclipsing deaths from motor vehicle crashes or firearms. There were over 47,000 overdose deaths in 2014; 61% of which involved either a prescription opioid or heroin. Do you believe the government must take steps to fight heroin and opioid addiction in America?
- Yes- 74%
- No- 14%
- Undecided- 12%
7. Do you believe the Obama administration has violated the balance of powers and abused the use of executive orders?
- Yes- 67%
- No- 28%
- Undecided- 5%
8. Do you believe there must be increased transparency from our federal government?
- Yes- 83%
- No- 7%
- Undecided- 11%
9. From 1980 to 2008, the number of people incarcerated in America quadrupled from roughly 500,000 to 2.3 million people. About $70 billion is spent on corrections annually. Do you believe reforms are needed to curtail the high rates and costs of incarceration?
- Yes- 73%
- No- 15%
- Undecided- 12%
10. What do you believe is the best method for prisoner rehabilitation?
- Education and workforce opportunities within prison- 21%
- Personalized sentencing over mandatory minimums- 7%
- Longer prison sentences- 9%
- Both A and B- 53%
- Other- 10%
11. Do you believe the United States should allow more Syrian refugees to settle here?
- Yes- 13%
- Yes, but only after heavy screening- 36%
- No- 43%
- Undecided- 8%
12. Do you support building a wall on our southern border to prohibit illegal immigrants from coming into the country illegally?
- Yes- 51%
- No- 38%
- Undecided- 12%
13. The 2015 Social Security Trustees Report indicated that in the year 2035, the trust fund will be unable to pay the full cost of benefits for retirees. How should Congress reform the Social Security system to ensure the trust fund remains viable for future generations?
- Raise taxes on Social Security benefits and on payroll taxes- 21%
- Decrease the amount beneficiaries receive- 7%
- Privatize the Social Security System- 26%
- No changes- 9%
14. What do you think is the biggest threat to our national security?
- ISIS and other terrorist organizations- 34%
- Cyber warfare- 22%
- North Korea’s nuclear ambitions- 7%
- The national debt- 28%
- Other- 8%
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by U.S. Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner
"The modernization of this bill would be a significant step forward in the fight to reduce the sexual exploitation of children online."
"I have been an advocate for consumer relief from burdensome fuel regulations for many years."
The No Regulation Without Representation Act of 2017 would codify the principle that businesses must be physically present in a state before it is lawful to tax or regulate them.