Comment period extended for Hiawatha Service improvement Environmental Assessment
The comment period has been extended to January 15, 2017.
In order to give all interested stakeholders ample opportunity to review and comment on the Environmental Assessment (EA) for the proposed service and track improvements on the Amtrak Hiawatha Service, the comment period has been extended to January 15, 2017.
The proposed improvements would increase Hiawatha Service trips between Milwaukee and Chicago to 10 round trips daily, up from the current seven weekday and Saturday round trips and six round trips on Sunday. Infrastructure improvements will be needed on the main tracks, side tracks and train signals, to support the additional trips.
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation (WisDOT) and Illinois Department of Transportation, in partnership with Amtrak, and in coordination with the Federal Railroad Administration, prepared the EA.
Environmental Assessment (EA) is available for review online and at several locations
The EA may be reviewed on the project website at Chi-MilwRailStudy.wi.gov (http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/multimodal/rail-chi-mil/default.aspx). Copies of the EA also may be reviewed at:
- WisDOT Central Office Library, 4802 Sheboygan Avenue, Madison
- Wisconsin Legislative Reference Bureau – 1 East Main Street, Madison
- Wisconsin Historical Society Library – Government Information and Records Collection, 816 State Street, Madison
- Southeast Wisconsin Regional Planning Commission, W239 N1812 Rockwood Drive, Waukesha
- Milwaukee Public Library – Hearing Shelf, 814 W. Wisconsin Avenue, Milwaukee
- Racine Public Library – Reference Desk, 75 Seventh Street, Racine
- Kenosha Public Library – Reference Services Desk, 812 56th Street, Kenosha
Comments or questions about the study can be submitted by:
- Email: DOTChicagoMilwaukeePassengerRailEA@dot.wi.gov
- Mail: Arun Rao
Passenger Rail Manager
Wisconsin Department of Transportation
4802 Sheboygan Ave. Rm 701
Madison, WI 53707
- Phone: (608) 261-6123
Mentioned in This Press Release
Recent Press Releases by Wisconsin Department of Transportation
Includes Expressway Policing Aids to the Milwaukee County Sheriff Department for patrol of Milwaukee expressways.