Youth Justice Milwaukee: Lincoln Hills Continued Use of Pepper Spray, Suicide Risk Shows Youth Prison Model is Broken
"We know harm is being done to children at Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake."
Milwaukee, WI – In response to the news that the use of pepper spray on young people and continued high risk of suicide by the youth at Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake is still common and that Attorney General Kaul will not open a new investigation into the matter, Youth Justice Milwaukee co-founder Sharlen Moore released the following statement:
“We know harm is being done to children at Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake. The stories that came out of the recent investigation into the youth prison were horrific and heartbreaking. As we get closer to closing Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake, we cannot make the same mistakes of locking our young people away. The youth prison model is unfixable and we owe it to our youth to invest in a strong, trauma-informed continuum of care and say no to construction of new, smaller youth prisons.”
Youth Justice Milwaukee is a broad-based campaign advocating for community-based, family-centered, restorative programs as an alternative to locking up children in Wisconsin’s youth prisons. Youth Justice Milwaukee represents a coalition of persons who were incarcerated as youth, families of youth who are or were incarcerated, service providers, and local and national youth justice advocates.
- Evers Proposes $45.8 Million for Milwaukee Juvenile Facility - Gretchen Schuldt - Mar 1st, 2021
- MKE County: County Has Just 22 Inmates in Youth Prisons - Edgar Mendez - Feb 24th, 2021
- Evers Pushes Juvenile Justice System Changes - Corri Hess - Feb 18th, 2021
- Youth Justice Milwaukee Calls for Transformation of the Wisconsin Youth Justice System as the State Acknowledges it Will Not Meet the July 2021 Deadline to Close Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake Prisons - Youth Justice Milwaukee - Feb 8th, 2021
- Pandemic Causes Youth Prison Problems - Graham Kilmer - Jan 27th, 2021
- Can State Rescue Youth Corrections Plan? - Graham Kilmer - Jan 11th, 2021
- State Can’t Meet Deadline to Close Youth Prisons - Graham Kilmer - Dec 30th, 2020
- MKE County: Crowley Defers Youth Corrections Grant Until State Has Sustainable Plan - Graham Kilmer - Sep 16th, 2020
- State Blows Up County Youth Corrections Plan - Graham Kilmer - May 20th, 2020
- Youth Advocates Remain Committed to Closing Wisconsin Youth Prisons Following Monitor’s Report - American Civil Liberties Union of Wisconsin - Mar 5th, 2020
Read more about Lincoln Hills and Copper Lake here
Recent Press Releases by Youth Justice Milwaukee
Signals Strong Bipartisan Support for Community-Based Alternatives to Incarceration to Rehabilitate Youth
"YJM agrees with President Hamilton that there are already enough correctional settings on the north side of Milwaukee."